Pittsburgh Pirates (58-72) vs Chicago Cubs (68-61)
Game Info: Sunday, August 27, 2023 at 1:35 pm (PNC Park)
Bailey Falter (1-7) (4.53) vs Javier Assad (2-1) (3.13)
Betting Odds: Pittsburgh Pirates +114 / Chicago Cubs -135 --- Over/Under: 9.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: MLB.tv Stream the MLB Game of the Day all season on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Chicago Cubs will play the Pittsburgh Pirates in Game 4 of their series on Sunday afternoon at PNC Park in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Chicago has won Games 1 and 3 by scores of 5-4 and 10-6, while Pittsburgh was able to win Game 2 by a score of 2-1. The Cubs are trying to stay within striking distance of the Brewers in the NL Central, but they are also currently in a Wild Card spot.
The Chicago Cubs are 68-61 this season and they have won six of their last eight games. Prior to this series, Chicago won two out of three games against Detroit and two out of three games against Kansas City. The Cubs have been able to score at least five runs in six of their last eight contests. The Chicago pitching staff has a 4.18 ERA, a 1.28 WHIP, and a .244 opponent batting average this year. The Cubs offense has scored 652 runs with a .254 batting average and a .330 on base percentage. Cody Bellinger is batting .317 with 20 home runs and 70 RBI’s for the Cubs. The projected starting pitcher for Chicago is Javier Assad, who is 2-2 with a 3.13 ERA and a 1.25 WHIP over 72 innings pitched this season.
The Pittsburgh Pirates are 58-72 this season and they have lost three of their last four games. Pittsburgh came into this series after winning two out of three games at home against the Cardinals. The Pirates have played much better over the last month or so and they have moved up from last to fourth in the NL Central. The Pittsburgh pitching staff has a 4.56 ERA, a 1.40 WHIP, and a .254 opponent batting average. The Pirates offense has scored 546 runs with a .235 batting average and a .314 on base percentage this season. Bryan Reynolds is batting .266 with 18 home runs and 64 RBI’s for the Pirates. The projected starting pitcher for Pittsburgh is Bailey Falter, who is 1-7 with a 4.53 ERA and a 1.42 WHIP over 59.2 innings pitched this year.
Pittsburgh Pirates Team Facts
- The Pirates have won each of their last five day games following a loss.
- The Pirates have covered the run line in each of their last eight games at PNC Park following a loss.
- The Pirates have trailed after 5 innings in each of their last nine day games at PNC Park against National League opponents.
- The 'Inning 1 OVER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Pirates' last six games as home underdogs.
Chicago Cubs Team Facts
- The Cubs have lost three of their last four games as favorites following a road win.
- The Cubs have failed to cover the run line in each of their last seven games as favorites following a win.
- The Cubs have lost the first inning in three of their last four games as road favorites.
- The Cubs have led after 5 innings in each of their last four day games against opponents that held a losing record.
- The 'Inning 1 OVER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Cubs' last eight games as favorites against National League opponents.
Pittsburgh Pirates Player Prop Facts
- Bryan Reynolds has hit a home run in three of the Pirates' last four Sunday day games as underdogs.
- Ke'Bryan Hayes has scored at least one run in each of the Pirates' last eight games as home underdogs against NL opponents.
- Ke'Bryan Hayes has recorded two or more total bases in six of his last seven home appearances after playing the previous day.
- Connor Joe has recorded at least one hit in each of the Pirates' last nine games against NL opponents.
Chicago Cubs Player Prop Facts
- Dansby Swanson has hit at least one home run in three of the Cubs' last seven games as favorites against NL Central opponents.
- Ian Happ has recorded at least one RBI in each of the Cubs' last five games against NL Central opponents.
- Ian Happ has scored at least one run in eight of the Cubs' last nine road games.
- Seiya Suzuki has recorded two or more total bases in each of the Cubs' last seven road games against opponents that held a losing record.
- Nick Madrigal has recorded at least one hit in each of his seven previous road appearances against the Pirates after playing the previous day.
- Nico Hoerner ranks 7th in the league in Steals (33) this season.
- The Pittsburgh Pirates ranks 26th in the league for home runs this season (127).
- The Pittsburgh Pirates ranks 26th in the league for batting average this season (.235).
- The Chicago Cubs ranks 5th in the league for walks this season (456).
- The Chicago Cubs ranks T6th in the league for triples this season (23).
The Cubs have lost some valuable ground in the NL Central race, but they are right in the middle of the NL Wild Card race. The Cubs are 33-31 on the road, while Pittsburgh is 32-35 at home. The Pirates are starting Bailey Falter, who has allowed one earned run in three of his last four outings. The Cubs are starting Javier Assad, who has allowed two earned runs or fewer in four consecutive starts. The Cubs have everything to play for and Assad has been very good lately. Give me Chicago here.