Athletics vs White Sox Prediction - MLB Picks 8/26/23
Chicago White Sox (50-79) vs Oakland Athletics (38-91)
Game Info: Saturday, August 26, 2023 at 7:10 pm (Guaranteed Rate Field)
Touki Toussaint (1-6) (5.30) vs JP Sears (2-10) (4.54)
Betting Odds: Chicago White Sox -141 / Oakland Athletics +120 --- Over/Under: 9 Click Here for the Latest Odds
The Chicago White Sox will host the Oakland Athletics for game two of their weekend series this Saturday from Guaranteed Rate Field.
Athletics Preview & Projected Starter
Oakland moved to 38-91 after defeating Chicago. The Athletics embarrassed the White Sox last night, and they’ll look to win a third straight game for the first time this season. The Oakland offense is scoring 2.81 runs per game, while batting .222, with a .303 on-base percentage. The pitching staff carries a 6.00 ERA, with a 1.62 WHIP.
JP Sears (2-10, 4.19 ERA, 101 Ks) will get the call for Oakland. The second-year lefty was passed around by Baltimore last time out, giving up seven runs in just four innings of work. Sears has struggled at home this season, but he’s managed to pitch well on the road, allowing no more than three runs in his last ten starts away from the Coliseum.
Athletics Player Trends & Facts
• Brent Rooker has totaled multiple bases in seven of the last ten games, and he leads Oakland in home runs (22) and RBI (55).
• Zach Gelof has produced a run in both wins in the Southside, and after recording a hit in eight of the last nine games, he’s now batting .289 thru 36 big league games.
• Shea Langeliers went deep twice in the game one win, and he’s up to 15 homers and 45 RBI for the season.
White Sox Preview & Projected Starter
Chicago enters at 50-79 after splitting games with the Cubs. The White Sox hit a new low last night, as they sported the black Southside jerseys, then proceeded to lose by eight runs to the Athletics. The Chicago offense is 4.72 scoring runs per game, while batting .235, with a .292 on-base percentage. The pitching staff carries a 5.72 ERA, with a 1.21 WHIP.
Touki Toussaint (1-6, 5.30 ERA, 47 Ks) will get the call for Chicago. The sixth-year pitcher did not fare well against Seattle at home, allowing seven runs through four innings to take his sixth loss. Toussaint has followed suit with the dysfunction in the Southside this season, and he’s dropped three of four starts this month.
White Sox Player Trends & Props
• Luis Robert homered in the game one defeat, and he leads the club in hits (123), home runs (34), and RBI (69).
• Andrew Vaughn has multiple hits in three of the last five games, and he’s posting splits of .254/16/64.
• Eloy Jiménez went yard in last night’s loss, and he’s totaled fifteen homers and 52 RBI for the season.
• Andrew Benintendi has produced a run in three of the last four games, and he now leads the Sox in batting (.275). doubled in both games at Wrigley, and he’s batting .271 for the season.
• Yoán Moncada has recorded a hit in six of the previous seven games.
Corey’s Free Pick
I’m not sure how Frank Thomas would feel about this one. On one side, his former longtime club has taken underachieving to a brand new level, while on the other, the team that took a chance and extended his career is embarrassing then on their home turf. Things have hit a new low in the Southside, and at this point, do they even want to play anymore? I’d love to see the White Sox show up Saturday, but in reality it’s too late, and the young A’s honestly have more to play for. Avoid a winner for this head scratching series, and take the Over.