Pittsburgh Pirates (57-70) vs Chicago Cubs (66-60)
Game Info: Friday, August 25, 2023 at 7:05 pm (PNC Park)
Mitch Keller (10-8) (4.22) vs Kyle Hendricks (5-6) (4.01)
Betting Odds: Pittsburgh Pirates +102 / Chicago Cubs -120 --- Over/Under: 9 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: Marquee Sports Network Stream the MLB Game of the Day all season on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Chicago Cubs and Pittsburgh Pirates face off on Friday in an MLB showdown at PNC Park in Pittsburgh. On Thursday it was the Cubs that were able to secure the 5-4 victory.
Cubs Have Momentum
The Cubs had won four of five games heading into Thursday’s matchup and a lot of games have been close. It seems especially late in games, the Cubs have gotten key hits to secure the victories. The Cubs are averaging 5.05 runs while their pitching is giving up 4.5 runs per game. The offense is ranked 5th in the league while the pitching is ranked 17th. On the mound for the Cubs will be Kyle Hendricks who sits with a 5-6 record and an ERA of 3.83. In his last start against the Royals he went 6.1 innings giving up five hits and one run.
Cubs Betting Trends
- The Cubs have won each of their last eight games against the Pirates following an extra innings win.
- The Cubs have failed to cover the run line in each of their last six games against National League opponents after going to extra innings.
- The Cubs have led after 7 innings in each of their last seven Friday night road games.
- The 'Inning 1 OVER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Cubs' last seven night games against National League opponents.
Pirates Coming off a Series Sweep against the Cardinals
The Pirates won two of three games against the Cardianls, but they did lose on Wednesday. In the two wins the pitching gave up only four runs, and they need the pitching to be good again. The Pirates are averaging 4.03 runs while their pitching is giving up 4.86 runs per game. The offense is ranked 24th in the league while the pitching is ranked 22nd. On the mound for the Pirates will be Mitch Keller who sits with a 10-8 record and an ERA of 4.32. In his last start against the Twins he went six innings giving up seven hits and two runs.
Pirates Betting Trends
- The Pirates have lost each of their last five night games against National League opponents that held a winning record.
- The Pirates have covered the run line in each of their last seven games at PNC Park following a loss.
- The 'Inning 1 OVER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Pirates' last four games as home underdogs.
Cubs vs Pirates Facts
- The Pittsburgh Pirates ranks 26th in the league for home runs this season (126).
- The Pittsburgh Pirates ranks 26th in the league for batting average this season (.235).
- The Chicago Cubs ranks 5th in the league for walks this season (450).
- The Chicago Cubs ranks 6th in the league for steals this season (109).
Shane’s Free Pick
Runs are going to be hard to come by here. Hendricks gave up one run in his last start while Keller only gave up two. The Pirates offense is ranked 24th in the league and they are going to really struggle in this game against Hendricks. Neither team is going to score more than four runs, and this game is going to stay under the total.