Nationals vs Yankees Prediction - MLB Picks 8/24/23
New York Yankees (61-65) vs Washington Nationals (58-69)
Game Info: Thursday, August 24, 2023 at 1:05 pm (Yankee Stadium)
Michael King (3-5) (3.26) vs Patrick Corbin (8-11) (4.71)
Betting Odds: New York Yankees / Washington Nationals --- Over/Under: Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: MLB.tv Stream the MLB Game of the Day all season on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Washington Nationals will play the New York Yankees in Game 3 of their series on Thursday afternoon at Yankee Stadium in New York. The Nationals won the first game in this series by a score of 2-1, while the Yankees won 9-1 on Wednesday night. Who will get the series win here?
The Washington Nationals are 58-69 this season and they have won five of their last seven games. The Nationals have played some of their best baseball lately, winning eight of their last eleven games. Washington has won recent series against the Phillies, Red Sox, and Athletics. The Washington pitching staff has a 4.91 ERA, a 1.45 WHIP, and a .267 opponent batting average this season. The Nationals offense has scored 555 runs with a .259 batting average and a .319 on base percentage. Lane Thomas is batting .286 with 20 home runs and 69 RBI’s for the Nationals. The projected starting pitcher for Washington is Patrick Corbin, who is 8-11 with a 4.71 ERA and a 1.47 WHIP over 143.1 innings pitched this year.
The New York Yankees are 61-65 this season and they have lost nine of their last ten games. New York finally snapped their nine game losing streak with a win on Wednesday night and they were able to erupt for nine runs in the victory. The Yankees are pretty much out of the Wild Card race at this point, but we will see if they can build on this momentum. The New York pitching staff has a 4.07 ERA, a 1.25 WHIP, and a .233 opponent batting average. The Yankees offense has scored 533 runs with a .229 batting average and a .304 on base percentage this year. Gleyber Torres is batting .265 with 19 home runs and 50 RBI’s for the Yankees. The projected starting pitcher for New York is Michael King, who is 3-5 with a 3.26 ERA and a 1.18 WHIP over 66.1 innings pitched this season.
New York Yankees Team Facts
- The Yankees have lost nine of their last 10 games.
- The Yankees have failed to cover the run line in nine of their last 10 games.
Washington Nationals Team Facts
- The Nationals have won seven of their last eight day games against American League opponents that held a losing record.
- The Nationals have covered the run line in each of their last six road games against American League opponents following a road loss.
New York Yankees Player Prop Facts
- Aaron Judge has hit at least one home run in three of the Yankees' last five home games.
- Aaron Judge has recorded four or more total bases in three of his last four appearances in day games against teams that held a losing record.
- Aaron Judge has scored at least one run in each of his last six appearances in day games against NL teams that held a losing record.
- Aaron Judge has recorded at least one hit in 15 of his 16 previous appearances in day games against NL teams that held a losing record.
Washington Nationals Player Prop Facts
- Keibert Ruiz has hit a home run in three of the Nationals' last seven games against AL opponents that held a losing record.
- Dominic Smith has recorded at least one RBI in three of the Nationals' last four day games against opponents that held a losing record.
- Joey Meneses has scored at least one run in each of the Nationals' last six day games.
- Patrick Corbin has recorded five or more strikeouts in each of his last four road appearances against AL opponents.
- Keibert Ruiz has recorded at least one hit in each of his last nine appearances against opponents that held a losing record.
- Keibert Ruiz has recorded at least one total base in each of his last nine appearances against AL opponents that held a losing record.
- The New York Yankees ranks 1st in the league for hits allowed this season (981).
- The New York Yankees ranks 29th in the league for hits this season (943).
- The Washington Nationals ranks 2nd in the league for strikeouts against this season (899).
- The Washington Nationals ranks 29th in the league for strikeouts this season (966).
The Yankees were finally able to get back into the win column on Wednesday night and they will try to keep it going in this game. This was the spot that Gerrit Cole was supposed to start in, so we should see him as the primary pitcher after Michael King pitches a couple of innings. Washington is starting Patrick Corbin, who has allowed four earned runs in his last three starts (17.1 IP). It is strange that the Yankees appear to be going with an opener for Gerrit Cole, but I guess they are willing to try anything with the struggles they have had. Either way, Cole has been solid for most of this year and I like the Yankees to win by at least two runs.