Tampa Bay Rays (76-51) vs Colorado Rockies (48-77)
Game Info: Wednesday, August 23, 2023 at 6:40 pm (Tropicana Field)
Aaron Civale (6-3) (2.44) vs Austin Gomber (9-9) (5.52)
Betting Odds: Tampa Bay Rays -218 / Colorado Rockies +180 --- Over/Under: 8.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: MLB.tv Stream the MLB Game of the Day all season on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Colorado Rockies will play the Tampa Bay Rays in Game 2 of their series on Wednesday night at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Florida. The Rays won Game 1 in this series by a score of 12-4 and they have played much better over the last few weeks than they did in July.
The Colorado Rockies are 48-77 this season and they have lost four of their last six games. The Rockies did win a series against the White Sox last weekend, but they have only won one of their last four series. Colorado has really struggled on the mound recently, allowing 22 runs in their last two games. The Colorado pitching staff has a 5.57 ERA, a 1.52 WHIP, and a .283 opponent batting average this year. The Rockies offense has scored 551 runs with a .250 batting average and a .311 on base percentage. Ezequiel Tovar is batting .259 with 14 home runs and 57 RBI’s for the Rockies. The projected starting pitcher for Colorado is Austin Gomber, who is 9-9 with a 5.52 ERA and a 1.47 WHIP over 130.1 innings pitched this season.
The Tampa Bay Rays are 76-51 this season and they have won four of their last five games. Tampa Bay has won each of their last three series and they continue to chase the Orioles in the AL East. The Rays are hitting the ball very well right now and they have scored 12, 18, 6, 9, and 6 runs in their last five games. The Tampa Bay pitching staff has a 3.89 ERA, a 1.20 WHIP, and a .233 opponent batting average. The Rays offense has scored 681 runs with a .261 batting average and a .332 on base percentage this season. Randy Arozarena is batting .261 with 19 home runs and 72 RBI’s for the Rays. The projected starting pitcher for Tampa Bay is Aaron Civale, who is 6-3 with a 2.44 ERA and a 1.12 WHIP over 92.1 innings pitched this year.
Tampa Bay Rays Team Facts
- The Rays have lost seven of their last eight games as home favorites following a home win.
- The Rays have failed to cover the run line in each of their last eight games at Tropicana Field following a home win.
- The Rays have trailed after 7 innings in four of their last five games as home favorites against National League opponents.
- The Rays have trailed after 5 innings in four of their last six games as favorites against National League opponents.
Colorado Rockies Team Facts
- The Rockies have lost each of their last six road games.
- The Rockies have failed to cover the run line nine of their last 10 road games against American League opponents that held a winning record.
- The Rockies have led after 7 innings in each of their last six games.
- The 'Inning 1 OVER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Rockies' last four night games against AL East opponents.
- The Rockies have led after 5 innings in three of their last four games as underdogs.
Tampa Bay Rays Player Prop Facts
- Jose Siri has hit at least one home run in each of his last three Wednesday appearances against teams that held a losing record.
- Yandy Diaz has recorded at least one RBI in each of the Rays' last four games at Tropicana Field against opponents that held a losing record.
- Randy Arozarena has scored at least one run in each of the Rays' last seven games against opponents that held a losing record.
- Josh Lowe has recorded at least one total base in each of his last 10 Wednesday appearances with the Rays as favorites.
- Randy Arozarena has recorded at least one hit in each of the Rays' last 12 Wednesday games against opponents that held a losing record.
- Yandy Diaz ranks 4th amongst qualified players for On Base Percentage (.404) this season.
Colorado Rockies Player Prop Facts
- Charlie Blackmon has hit a home run in two of the Rockies' last three games against AL opponents.
- Charlie Blackmon has recorded at least one RBI in four of his last five appearances against AL opponents.
- Brendan Rodgers has scored at least one run in each of his last four appearances.
- Ryan McMahon has recorded at least one total base in each of the Rockies' last six games against AL opponents.
- Ezequiel Tovar has recorded at least one hit in 17 of his last 18 appearances in night games against teams that held a winning record.
- The Tampa Bay Rays ranks 2nd in the league for opponent batting average this season (.233).
- The Tampa Bay Rays are one of only 3 teams in the league to rank top 10 in both steals and batting average this season.
- The Colorado Rockies ranks 30th in the league for hits allowed this season (1210).
- The Colorado Rockies ranks 29th in the league for steals this season (49).
The Rays won Game 1 on Tuesday night in blowout fashion, but they were actually trailing in the game until they scored nine runs in the eighth inning. Colorado has had terrible pitching all season and we saw the bullpen absolutely collapse on Tuesday. The Rockies are starting Austin Gomber, who has allowed two earned runs or fewer in four of his last five starts, but did allow six earned runs last time out. The Rays are starting Aaron Civale, who has allowed five earned runs over 15.1 innings since being acquired from the Guardians. Both pitchers have been solid in the majority of their last few starts, but I cannot trust the Colorado bullpen. Take the Rays -1.5 here.