Giants vs Phillies Prediction - MLB Picks 8/23/23
Philadelphia Phillies (69-57) vs San Francisco Giants (65-61)
Game Info: Wednesday, August 23, 2023 at 4:05 pm (Citizens Bank Park)
Michael Lorenzen (7-8) (3.57) vs Alex Cobb (6-5) (3.75)
Betting Odds: Philadelphia Phillies -125 / San Francisco Giants +105 --- Over/Under: 9 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: MLB.tv Stream the MLB Game of the Day all season on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The San Francisco Giants will play the Philadelphia Phillies in Game 3 of their series on Wednesday afternoon at Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The Phillies have won the first two games in this series by scores of 10-4 and 4-3. Both of these teams are right in the middle of the NL Wild Card race, but Philadelphia is currently in the first spot.
The San Francisco Giants are 65-61 this season and they have lost five of their last six games. The Giants have struggled recently and have lost six straight series. Prior to this series, San Francisco lost series against the Braves, Rays, Rangers, Angels, and Athletics. The San Francisco pitching staff has a 3.95 ERA, a 1.25 WHIP, and a .253 opponent batting average this year. The Giants offense has scored 542 runs with a .238 batting average and a .314 on base percentage. LaMonte Wade is batting .258 with 13 home runs and 35 RBI’s for the Giants. The projected starting pitcher for San Francisco is Alex Cobb, who is 6-5 with a 3.75 ERA and a 1.39 WHIP over 127.1 innings pitched this season.
The Philadelphia Phillies are 69-57 this season and they have won three of their last four games. The Phillies are looking for the series sweep in this matchup, which would be a great bounce back after losing two out of three to Washington over the weekend. The Philadelphia pitching staff has a 3.96 ERA, a 1.24 WHIP, and a .242 opponent batting average. The Phillies offense has scored 596 runs with a .258 batting average and a .326 on base percentage this season. Bryce Harper is batting .297 with 11 home runs and 44 RBI’s for the Phillies. The projected starting pitcher for Philadelphia is Michael Lorenzen, who is 7-8 with a 3.57 ERA and a 1.08 WHIP over 126 innings pitched this year.
Philadelphia Phillies Team Facts
- The Phillies have won eight of their last nine games against NL West opponents.
- The Phillies have failed to cover the run line in eight of their last nine games against the Giants following a win.
- The 'Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Phillies' last five day games against National League opponents.
- The Phillies have trailed after 5 innings in four of their last five games as favorites against National League opponents.
- The Phillies have trailed after 3 innings in nine of their last 13 games as favorites against NL West opponents.
San Francisco Giants Team Facts
- The Giants have lost nine of their last 10 games against NL East opponents.
- The Giants have covered the run line in 10 of their last 11 games as underdogs against the Phillies.
- The Giants have led after 7 innings in three of their last four games as underdogs against NL East opponents.
- The Giants have trailed after 5 innings in each of their last five day games at Citizens Bank Park against NL East opponents.
- The Giants have trailed after 3 innings in each of their last five Wednesday games against opponents that held a winning record.
Philadelphia Phillies Player Prop Facts
- Kyle Schwarber has hit a home run in four of the Phillies' last five home games against NL West opponents.
- Nick Castellanos has recorded at least one RBI in each of the Phillies' last eight Wednesday games.
- Kyle Schwarber has recorded two or more total bases in each of the Phillies' last six home games against NL West opponents.
- Bryce Harper has scored at least one run in each of his last nine Wednesday day appearances against teams that held a winning record.
- Michael Lorenzen has recorded five or more strikeouts in three of his last four appearances.
- Brandon Marsh has recorded at least one hit in each of his last nine appearances with the Phillies as home favorites.
- Bryce Harper ranks 8th amongst qualified players for On Base Percentage (.389) this season.
San Francisco Giants Player Prop Facts
- LaMonte Wade Jr has hit a home run in two of his last three road appearances against NL East opponents that held a winning record.
- Wilmer Flores has recorded at least one RBI in four of his last five appearances against the Phillies.
- Wilmer Flores has scored a run in each of the Giants' last seven road games against the Phillies.
- Joc Pederson has recorded two or more total bases in each of his last three appearances with the Giants as underdogs against the Phillies.
- Wilmer Flores has recorded at least one hit in 17 of his last 18 Wednesday appearances.
- The Philadelphia Phillies ranks 8th in the league for batting average this season (.258).
- The Philadelphia Phillies ranks 8th in the league for slugging percentage this season (.428).
- The San Francisco Giants ranks 2nd in the league for walks allowed this season (319).
- The San Francisco Giants ranks 28th in the league for strikeouts against this season (1188).
The Giants will look to avoid being swept in this game, but they have not played very well over their last few series. San Francisco needs to string some wins together sooner rather than later, as they are right on the edge of a Wild Card spot. The Giants are starting Alex Cobb, who has allowed 15 earned runs in his last three starts (15.1 IP). The Phillies are starting Michael Lorenzen, who has allowed eight earned runs in three starts for Philadelphia since being acquired at the trade deadline. Lorenzen threw the no hitter against Washington two starts ago, but then allowed six earned runs to the same Washington team last weekend. I am going to fade the Giants as they continue to struggle. Take the Phillies here.