Cardinals vs Pirates Prediction - MLB Picks 8/23/23
Pittsburgh Pirates (56-69) vs St. Louis Cardinals (55-71)
Game Info: Wednesday, August 23, 2023 at 12:35 pm (PNC Park)
() () vs Zack Thompson (2-4) (3.90)
Betting Odds: Pittsburgh Pirates -110 / St. Louis Cardinals +100 --- Over/Under: 10 Click Here for the Latest Odds
The St. Louis Cardinals and Pittsburgh Pirates face off on Wednesday in an MLB showdown at PNC Park. On Tuesday it was the Cardinals that were able to secure the 6-3 victory.
Cardinals Pitching Has Been Inconsistent
The Cardinals pitching has been super inconsistent and it’s going to need to be something that is better here. On Saturday the Cardinals gave up 13 runs and on Monday the pitching gave up 11 points. On the mound for the Cardinals in this game is Zack Thompson who sits with a 2-5 record and an ERA of 3.90. On Monday the pitching gave up nine runs and that wasn’t enough. The Cardinals are averaging 4.56 runs while their pitching is giving up 5.01 runs per game. The offense is ranked 14th while the pitching is ranked 24th. Nolan Arenado has hit 26 home runs and driven in 85 RBIs.
Cardinals Betting Trends
- The Cardinals have lost eight of their last nine games as favorites against NL Central opponents.
- The Cardinals have failed to cover the run line in each of their last eight games as road favorites against NL Central opponents.
- The Cardinals have trailed after 7 innings in each of their last six games at PNC Park.
- The 'Inning 1 OVER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Cardinals' last four games as road favorites against NL Central opponents.
- The Cardinals have lost the first inning in three of their last four games as favorites.
Pirates Offense Impressive In Game 1
The Pirates offense looked impressive in the first game scoring 11 runs and that led to the victory. The Pirates were led by Joshua Palacios and he finished with two hits, two runs and five RBIs. On Tuesday the Pirates offense scored six runs and they need hte offense to run up the score again here. The Pirates are averaging 4.19 runs while their pitching is giving up 4.86 runs per game. The offense is ranked 24th in the league while the pitching is ranked 22nd. Jack Suwinkski has hit 21 home runs and driven in 54 RBIs.
Pirates Betting Trends
- The Pirates have won each of their last four games as home underdogs against the Cardinals.
- The Pirates have covered the run line in each of their last seven games against the Cardinals.
- The Pirates have led after 7 innings in each of their last four games as underdogs against NL Central opponents.
- The 'Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Pirates' last three day games against NL Central opponents.
- The Pirates have trailed after 5 innings in each of their last eight day games at PNC Park against National League opponents.
Cardinals vs Pirates Facts
- The Pittsburgh Pirates ranks 4th in the league for walks this season (446).
- The Pittsburgh Pirates ranks 26th in the league for home runs this season (124).
- The St. Louis Cardinals ranks 29th in the league for hits allowed this season (1203).
- The St. Louis Cardinals ranks 28th in the league for strikeouts this season (998).
Shane’s Free Pick
I don’t exactly trust Zack Thompson. Even if he does have a strong strong start, he hasn’t gotten a ton of run support this season. The Pirates offense looked good on Monday, and they are going to find success against Thompson here. This will be another victory for the Pirates. Back the Pirates on the money line.