Rangers vs Diamondbacks Prediction - MLB Picks 8/22/23
Arizona Diamondbacks (64-61) vs Texas Rangers (72-52)
Game Info: Tuesday, August 22, 2023 at 9:40 pm (Chase Field)
Zac Gallen (13-5) (3.17) vs Jon Gray (8-6) (3.38)
Betting Odds: Arizona Diamondbacks -132 / Texas Rangers +111 --- Over/Under: 8.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: MLBN Stream the MLB Game of the Day all season on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Arizona Diamondbacks and the Texas Rangers will meet in Phoenix for the second leg of their interleague set this Tuesday from Chase Field on the MLB Network. Arizona took game one in extra innings, 4-3.
Rangers Preview & Projected Starter
Texas moved to 72-52 after losing to Arizona. The Rangers squandered a pair of chances to take last night’s game, and they’ll look to avoid a sixth straight loss here. The Texas offense is scoring 4.88 runs per game, while batting .272, with a .341 on-base percentage. The pitching staff carries a 3.77 ERA, with a 1.20 WHIP.
Jon Gray (8-6, 3.52 ERA, 106 Ks) will take the mound for Texas. The ninth-year righty pitched well in divisional action against Angels lsst week, holding them to one run thru seven innings of work, but a lack of run support led to a loss. Gray has now cleaned up a rough stretch of play with two good outings, and he’ll look to deliver again here against his former division rivals.
Rangers Player Trends & Props
• Corey Seager has scored a run in five of the previous seven games, and he leads Texas in batting (.341), while being second in the team in homers (23) and runs batted in 23 home runs and 74 RBI.
• Marcus Semien had multiple hits in Monday’s loss, and he leads the team in hits (144) and runs (96), with splits of .278/19/79.
• Adolis Garcia in last night’s contest, and he leads the Rangers in home runs (31) and RBI (93).
• Nathaniel Lowe has totaled multiple bases in four of the last six games, and he’s posting a line of .278/15/65.
Diamondbacks Preview & Projected Starter
Arizona enters at 62-61 after Texas. The Diamondbacks were silenced at the plate last night, and they’ll attempt to turn things around Saturday. used a strong pitching effort to pick up their third straight win, and they’ll look to steal another in SD here. The Arizona offense is scoring 4.34 runs per game, while batting .257, with a .326 on-base percentage. The pitching staff carries a 4.41 ERA, with a 1.34 WHIP.
Zac Gallen (13-5, 3.17 ERA, 168 Ks) will get the ball for Arizona. The fifth-year pitcher held firm in San Diego last week, holding the Padres to one run thru 6.1 innings to earn his thirteenth victory of the year. Gallen has cleaned up a messy July by delivering four straight quality starts to open the month, but it’ll be interesting to see how he fared against a Texas lineup he’s yet to see this season.
DBacks Player Trends & Props
• Christian Walker has produced a run in five of the last eight games, and he’s Arizona’s leader in home runs (28) and RBI (84).
• Ketel Marte smashed the game-tying homer in the ninth last night, and he’s first on the team in batting (.273) and hits (124), with twenty homers and 63 runs batted in.
• Corbin Carroll had multiple hits in the two final matchups with SD, and he’s posting splits of .273/21/60.
• Tommy Pham has been on a tear, as he’s produced a run in seven of the past ten games, and he brings a twelve-game hit streak into this contest.
• Lourdes Gurriel Jr. has recorded a hit in eight of the last ten games, and he’s posting a line of .258/19/65.
Corey’s Free Pick
The AL West-leading Rangers find themselves skidding at the wrong time, and they’ll now have to face one of the best pitchers in this league in the desert this Tuesday. The Diamondbacks are resurgent themselves at the right time, and with Zac Gallen set to go, this feels like a trustworthy spot for them. Texas is going to get over the hump soon, but let’s roll with Arizona at home for this interleague matchup.