Nationals vs Yankees Prediction - MLB Picks 8/22/23
New York Yankees (60-64) vs Washington Nationals (57-68)
Game Info: Tuesday, August 22, 2023 at 7:05 pm (Yankee Stadium)
Carlos Rodon (1-4) (7.33) vs Josiah Gray (7-10) (3.96)
Betting Odds: New York Yankees -204 / Washington Nationals +170 --- Over/Under: 9 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: YES Stream the MLB Game of the Day all season on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Washington Nationals and New York Yankees face off on Tuesday in an MLB showdown at Yankee Stadium.
Yankees Need the Season to End
At this point the Yankees just need this season to end. Over the weekend the Yankees faced off against the Boston Red Sox and they swept. Overall the Yankees have lost eight games in a row and the offense has been awful. For as much money as the Yankees spent every year, it’s excusable how bad their offense has been. The Yankees are averaging 4.22 runs while their pitching is giving up 4.44 runs per game. The offense is ranked 23rd in the league while the pitching is ranked 16th. Gleybor Torres has hit 19 home runs and driven in 50 RBIs. On the mound for the Yankees will be Carlos Rodon who sits with a 1-4 record and an ERA of 7.33. IN his last start against the Astros he went 2.2 innings giving up three hits and five runs.
Yankees Betting Trends
- The Yankees have lost each of their last four games as favorites.
- The Yankees have failed to cover the run line in each of their last seven games following a loss.
- The 'Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Yankees' last three games as favorites against National League opponents.
- The Yankees have trailed after 3 innings in each of their last three games against National League opponents.
Gray Needs To Be Better
On the mound for the Nationals is Josiah Gray and they need him to bounce back here. In Gray’s last start he went three innings giving up five hits and five runs. So far this month he has pitched 11.1 innings and given up 14 runs. The Nationals are averaging 4.42 runs while their pitching is giving up 5.14 runs per game. The offense is ranked 18th in the league while the pitching is ranked 27th. In this game if the pitching is good, the Nationals are going to have a chance.
Nationals Betting Trends
- The Nationals have won four of their last five games as underdogs against American League opponents.
- The Nationals have covered the run line in seven of their last eight games as underdogs against American League opponents.
- The Nationals have led after 3 innings in each of their last four night games.
- The Nationals have led after 5 innings in each of their last five games.
- The Nationals have trailed after 7 innings in each of their last 10 Tuesday night games against opponents that held a losing record.
Yankees vs Nationals Facts
- The New York Yankees ranks 29th in the league for hits this season (933).
- The New York Yankees ranks 29th in the league for batting average this season (.230).
- The Washington Nationals ranks 2nd in the league for strikeouts against this season (886).
- The Washington Nationals ranks 29th in the league for strikeouts this season (949).
Shane’s Free Pick
This could be the highest scoring game of Tuesday. Rodon is coming off a start where he gave up five runs in 2.2 innings and the Nationals are going to have no issue running up the score here. The Yankees bats will also finally breakout against Gray, and maybe this is exactly the game they need to get the offense back on the right track. Both offenses are going to find plenty of success and the over is going to cash here.