Detroit Tigers (57-67) vs Chicago Cubs (64-59)
Game Info: Tuesday, August 22, 2023 at 6:40 pm (Comerica Park)
Reese Olson (2-5) (4.83) vs () ()
Betting Odds: Detroit Tigers +102 / Chicago Cubs -120 --- Over/Under: 9 Click Here for the Latest Odds
The Chicago Cubs and Detroit Tigers face off on Tuesday in an MLB showdown at Comerica Park. On Monday it was the Cubs that were able to secure the 7-6 victory.
Parker Meadow Called Up
The Detroit Tigers are still trying to rebuild, and that includes calling up young prospects like outfielder Parker Meadow. Meadow is the brother of outfielder Austin Meadows and he was drafted in the second round of the 2018 MLB draft. During the 2022 season, Meadow was impressive in the minors, but in 2023 he wasn’t as impressive. The Cubs are averaging 3.95 runs while their pitching is giving up 4.74 runs per game. The offense is ranked 29th in the league. On the mound for the Tigers will be Reese Olson who sits with a 2-5 record and an ERA of 4.83. In his last start against the Tigers he went 2.2 innings giving up eight hits and four runs.
Tigers Betting Trends
- The Tigers have won four of their last five games as underdogs following a loss.
- The Tigers have covered the run line 10 of their last 11 night games against NL Central opponents that held a winning record.
- The Tigers have trailed after 7 innings in each of their last five night games against National League opponents that held a winning record.
- The 'Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Tigers' last four games as underdogs against National League opponents.
- The Tigers have trailed after 3 innings in each of their last five night games against National League opponents.
Cubs Need Every Win
The Cubs need every win at this point of the season and in the last series against the Kansas City Royals they were able to win two of the three games. On Monday they almost blew the game in the last couple of innings, but they were able to secure the victory. The Cubs are averaging 5.02 runs while their pitching is giving up 4.49 runs per game. The offense is ranked 5th in the league while the pitching is ranked 17th. Cody Bellinger has hit 20 home runs and driven in 64 RBIs. On the mound for the Cubs will be Drew Smyly who sits with a 9-8 record and an ERA of 4.92. In each of his last three appearances he has gone an inning and not given up a run.
Cubs Betting Trends
- The Cubs have lost four of their last five games as road favorites against AL Central opponents following a road win.
- The Cubs have failed to cover the run line nine of their last 10 games against teams that held a losing record.
- The Cubs have led after 3 innings in each of their last five games at Comerica Park against opponents that held a losing record.
- The Cubs have led after 5 innings in each of their last five games against the Tigers at Comerica Park.
- The Cubs have led after 7 innings in each of their last four road games against American League opponents that held a losing record.
Tigers and Cubs Facts
- The Detroit Tigers ranks 28th in the league for RBI's this season (478).
- The Detroit Tigers ranks 28th in the league for steals this season (55).
- The Chicago Cubs ranks 5th in the league for runs scored this season (624).
- The Chicago Cubs ranks 5th in the league for RBI's this season (598).
Shane’s Free Pick
I don’t trust Reese Olson and his struggles are going to be the difference here. In his last start he gave up eight hits and four runs in less than three innings of work, and he is going to really struggle again in this game. Look for the Cubs to score six or seven runs off of him here, and that is going to be the difference here. The Tigers are also going to have their bats ice cold here, Back the Cubs on the run line to pick up a victory on the road.