Mariners vs White Sox Prediction - MLB Picks 8/21/23
Chicago White Sox (49-75) vs Seattle Mariners (69-55)
Game Info: Monday, August 21, 2023 at 8:10 pm (Guaranteed Rate Field)
Touki Toussaint (1-5) (4.47) vs Luis Castillo (9-7) (3.23)
Betting Odds: Chicago White Sox +145 / Seattle Mariners -175 --- Over/Under: 8.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: MLB.tv Stream the MLB Game of the Day all season on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Seattle Mariners will play the Chicago White Sox in Game 1 of their series on Monday night at Guaranteed Rate Field in Chicago, Illinois. The White Sox have been one of the worst teams in baseball over the last two weeks, while Seattle has been one of the hottest.
The Seattle Mariners are 69-55 this season and they have won six games in a row. Seattle is coming off of a series win against the Astros, where they won all three games. The Mariners are making a great push in the AL West, where they only trail Houston by 0.5 games for second and Texas by 3 games for first. The Seattle pitching staff has a 3.71 ERA, a 1.18 WHIP, and a .236 opponent batting average this year. The Mariners offense has scored 578 runs with a .241 batting average and a .320 on base percentage. Julio Rodriguez is batting .278 with 21 home runs and 79 RBI’s for the Mariners. The projected starting pitcher for Seattle is Luis Castillo, who is 9-7 with a 3.23 ERA and a 1.05 WHIP over 150.1 innings pitched this season.
White Sox Preview
The Chicago White Sox are 49-75 this season and they have lost six of their last eight games. Chicago is coming off of a series loss to the Rockies, where they lost two out of three games. The White Sox pitching staff had a very rough weekend in Colorado, allowing 30 runs in three games. The Chicago pitching staff has a 4.72 ERA, a 1.40 WHIP, and a .246 opponent batting average. The White Sox offense has scored 514 runs with a .238 batting average and a .295 on base percentage this season. Luis Robert is batting .270 with 33 home runs and 67 RBI’s for the White Sox. The projected starting pitcher for Chicago is Touki Toussaint, who is 1-5 with a 4.47 ERA and a 1.45 WHIP over 50.1 innings pitched this year.
Chicago White Sox Team Facts
- The White Sox have won four of their last five games as underdogs against American League opponents.
- The White Sox have covered the run line each of their last five night games against teams that held a winning record.
- The 'Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the White Sox's last four home games against American League opponents.
- The White Sox have led after 3 innings in three of their last four games as home underdogs.
- The White Sox have led after 5 innings in four of their last six games as home underdogs against American League opponents.
Seattle Mariners Team Facts
- The Mariners have won each of their last 10 games following a road win.
- The Mariners have failed to cover the run line in 12 of their last 13 games as favorites against the White Sox following a win.
- The Mariners have led after 3 innings in each of their last five games against American League opponents.
- The Mariners have led after 5 innings in each of their last four night games.
Chicago White Sox Player Prop Facts
- Luis Robert has hit at least one home run in five of the White Sox's last nine home games against AL opponents that held a winning record.
- Andrew Vaughn has recorded at least one RBI in five of the White Sox's last six games against AL West opponents at Guaranteed Rate Field.
- Luis Robert has scored at least one run in eight of the White Sox's last nine games against AL West opponents at Guaranteed Rate Field.
- Luis Robert has recorded two or more total bases in five of his last six home appearances after playing the previous day.
- Luis Robert has recorded at least one hit in each of his last seven appearances against AL opponents.
- Luis Robert ranks 6th amongst qualified players for Slugging Percentage (.562) this season.
Seattle Mariners Player Prop Facts
- Cal Raleigh has hit a home run in each of the Mariners' last two games as road favorites.
- Julio Rodriguez has recorded at least one RBI in each of the Mariners' last seven Monday night games as favorites.
- Julio Rodriguez has recorded two or more total bases in each of the Mariners' last five road games against AL opponents.
- Julio Rodriguez has scored at least one run in eight of his last nine appearances with the Mariners as road favorites against AL Central opponents.
- Eugenio Suarez has recorded a hit in each of the Mariners' last five night games.
- Luis Castillo ranks 10th in the league for total Strikeouts (166) this season.
- The Chicago White Sox ranks 29th in the league for walks allowed this season (498).
- The Chicago White Sox ranks 4th in the league for strikeouts this season (1159).
- The Seattle Mariners ranks 2nd in the league for ERA this season (3.71).
- The Seattle Mariners ranks 2nd in the league for walks allowed this season (315).
The Mariners come into this series as one of the hottest teams in baseball and Julio Rodriguez has been hitting very well. Chicago has been a big disappointment this year and they are only 25-33 at home. Seattle is starting Luis Castillo, who has allowed 4, 1, and 7 earned runs in his last three outings. Chicago is starting Touki Toussaint, who has allowed 11 earned runs in his last three starts (14.1 IP). I think we are going to see plenty of runs scored here and I like the over.