Cardinals vs Pirates Prediction - MLB Picks 8/21/23
Pittsburgh Pirates (55-69) vs St. Louis Cardinals (55-70)
Game Info: Monday, August 21, 2023 at 7:05 pm (PNC Park)
Bailey Falter (0-7) (4.86) vs Drew Rom (0-0) (0.00)
Betting Odds: Pittsburgh Pirates +105 / St. Louis Cardinals -128 --- Over/Under: 10.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
The Pittsburgh Pirates will host the St. Louis Cardinals for game one of their divisional series this Monday from PNC Park.
Cardinals Preview & Projected Starter
St. Louis moved to 55-70 after dropping three of four to New York. The Cardinals came through for us on Sunday to snap a four-game skid, and they’ll attempt to avoid gaining sole possession of last place in the NL Central this week against the Bucs. The St. Louis offense is scoring 3.97 runs per game, while batting .258, with a .328 on-base percentage. The pitching staff carries a 4.64 ERA, with a 1.49 WHIP.
Drew Rom (0-0, 0.00 ERA) will get the ball for St. Louis. This will mark 2018 fourth round pick’s first appearance in the majors.
Cardinals Player Trends & Props
• Nolan Arenado has recorded a hit in three straight games, and he’s St. Louis’ leader in batting (.282), home runs (26) and RBI (85).
• Paul Goldschmidt homered in the game four win over the Mets, and he leads the Cards in hits (132), with splits of .277/20/65.
• Wilson Contreras has collected a hit in nine of the last ten games, he’s posting a line of .259/13/50.
Pirates Preview & Projected Starter
Pittsburgh comes in at 55-69 after dropping two of three to Minnesota. The Pirates were held scoreless in game three by Dallas Keuchel and the Twins staff, and they’ll look for some form of bounce back here. The Pittsburgh offense is scoring 4.11 runs per game, while batting .235, with a .320 on-base percentage. The pitching staff carries a 4.50 ERA, with a 1.38 WHIP.
Bailey Falter (0-7, 6.91 ERA, 17 Ks) will get the start for Philadelphia. The third-year lefty just can’t seem to get anything going this season, and after allowing five runs and dropping his fifth straight decision to Boston last week, it’s safe to say he can be targeted until the Phillies address their rotation. Falter has given up four runs or more in four of his last five appearances, and he’s only surpassed four Ks once all season.
Pirates Player Trends & Props
• Bryan Reynolds has collected a hit in seven of the last ten games, and he’s first on the team in hits (109), with splits of .269/18/60.
• Ke’Bryan Hayes has multiple hits in four of the last six games, and he’s batting .258, with 45 RBI for the season.
• Jack Suwinski leads the club in home runs (21), with 54 RBI.
Corey’s Free Pick
The Pirates allowing Dallas Keuchel to toss six perfect innings says enough about the state of this squad right now. The Cardinals have been no better, as they’ve been in a state of disarray all season. A lot of moving pieces in this game, with a first-time lefty set to face off with a winless righty, and I feel like runs may be produced by default here. Pittsburgh’s worth an underdog look, but take the Over for this divisional battle.