Mariners vs Astros Prediction - MLB Picks 8/20/23
Houston Astros (70-54) vs Seattle Mariners (68-55)
Game Info: Sunday, August 20, 2023 at 1:05 pm (Minute Maid Park)
Hunter Brown (9-8) (4.16) vs Emerson Hancock (0-0) (5.40)
Betting Odds: Houston Astros -175 / Seattle Mariners +145 --- Over/Under: 9 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: Peacock Stream the MLB Game of the Day all season on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Seattle Mariners will play the Houston Astros in Game 3 of their series on Sunday afternoon at Minute Maid Park in Houston, Texas. Seattle has won the first two games in this series by scores of 2-0 and 10-3. The AL West looked to be a two team race between the Rangers and the Astros, but Seattle is only four games back now.
The Seattle Mariners are 68-55 this season and they have won five games in a row. Prior to winning the first two games in this series, Seattle won three out of four games against the Royals. The Mariners have scored six runs or more in five of their last six games and they are currently playing great baseball. The Seattle pitching staff has a 3.69 ERA, a 1.17 WHIP, and a .236 opponent batting average this year. The Mariners offense has scored 571 runs with a .240 batting average and a .319 on base percentage. Julio Rodriguez is batting .278 with 21 home runs and 79 RBI’s for the Mariners. The projected starting pitcher for Seattle is Emerson Hancock, who is 0-0 with a 5.40 ERA and a 1.40 WHIP over 10.0 innings pitched this season.
The Houston Astros are 70-54 this season and they have lost four of their last six games. Houston came into this series with some momentum after winning series against Miami, the Angels, and Baltimore. The Astros offense has been a bit inconsistent lately, scoring 3, 0, 12, 6, 1, and 1 run in their last six games. The Houston pitching staff has a 3.82 ERA, a 1.27 WHIP, and a .241 opponent batting average. The Astros offense has scored 602 runs with a .251 batting average and a .324 on base percentage this season. Alex Bregman is batting .249 with 20 home runs and 80 RBI’s for the Astros. The projected starting pitcher for Houston is Hunter Brown, who is 9-8 with a 4.16 ERA and a 1.28 WHIP over 125.1 innings pitched this year.
Houston Astros Team Facts
- The Astros have won 14 of their last 15 day games against American League opponents following a home loss.
- The road team has covered the run line in each of the last six games between the Mariners and Astros.
- The Astros have trailed after 3 innings in each of their last three games as home favorites against American League opponents.
- The Astros have trailed after 5 innings in six of their last eight games as favorites against American League opponents.
- The Astros have trailed after 7 innings in four of their last six games as favorites against AL West opponents.
Seattle Mariners Team Facts
- The Mariners have won each of their last six games as road underdogs against American League opponents.
- The Mariners have covered the run line in each of their last nine games as road underdogs against American League opponents.
- The Mariners have led after 3 innings in each of their last four games.
Houston Astros Player Prop Facts
- Martin Maldonado has hit a home run in three of his last five home appearances after playing the previous day.
- Alex Bregman has recorded at least one RBI in five of the Astros' last six games as home favorites against the Mariners.
- Jose Altuve has recorded two or more total bases in five of his last six appearances against the Mariners after playing the previous day.
- Jose Altuve has scored at least one run in each of the Astros' last six day games against opponents that held a winning record.
- Chas McCormick has recorded two hits in each of his last three appearances in day games against AL West teams that held a winning record.
Seattle Mariners Player Prop Facts
- Julio Rodriguez has hit a home run in two of the Mariners' last three games against AL opponents.
- Eugenio Suarez has recorded at least one RBI in six of the Mariners' last seven games as underdogs against AL opponents.
- Julio Rodriguez has scored at least one run in each of the Mariners' last four road games.
- Eugenio Suarez has recorded at least one total base in each of the Mariners' last eight games as underdogs against AL opponents.
- Eugenio Suarez has recorded at least one hit in each of the Mariners' last eight games as underdogs against AL opponents.
- The Houston Astros ranks 5th in the league for ERA this season (3.82).
- The Houston Astros ranks 6th in the league for runs scored this season (602).
- The Seattle Mariners ranks 2nd in the league for walks allowed this season (312).
- The Seattle Mariners ranks 3rd in the league for runs allowed this season (500).
The Astros are in danger of being swept in this series and they are being chased down in the AL West standings by these Mariners. Seattle is getting great at bats from Julio Rodriguez, who has been a hit machine in his last few games. The Mariners are starting Emerson Hancock, who has allowed six earned runs in his last two starts (10 IP). Houston is starting Hunter Brown, who has allowed two earned runs or fewer in four of his last five outings. The Astros need to get some consistent offense from their lineup and they will be facing a pitcher without much experience here. I like the Astros -1.5 in this matchup.