Mariners vs Astros Prediction - MLB Picks 8/18/23
Houston Astros (70-52) vs Seattle Mariners (65-55)
Game Info: Friday, August 18, 2023 at 8:10 pm (Minute Maid Park)
J.P. France (9-3) (2.74) vs Bryce Miller (7-4) (4.04)
Betting Odds: Houston Astros -140 / Seattle Mariners +129 --- Over/Under: 9 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: Root NW Stream the MLB Game of the Day all season on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Seattle Mariners and Houston Astros face off on Friday in an MLB showdown at Minute Maid Park.
Mariners Continue to Play with Fire
In yesterday’s Mariners article we talked about how this team continues to play with fire, and it continues to happen. The Mariners continue to try to blow leads against the Royals. On Wednesday, the Mariners gave up one run in the 9th inning, but still held on for the 6-5 victory. The Mariners are averaging 4.61 runs while their pitching is giving up 4.11 runs per game. The offense is ranked 14th in the league while the pitching is ranked 7th. Julio Rodriguez has hit 19 home runs and driven in 73 RBIs. Bryce Miller gets the start for the Mariners and he sits with a 7-4 record and an ERA of 4.04.
Mariners Betting Trends
- The Mariners have won each of their last four games as road underdogs against American League opponents.
- The Mariners have covered the run line in each of their last seven games as road underdogs against American League opponents.
Astros Bats are on Fire
The Astros sit with a 70-52 record overall and their offense is on fire. On Wednesday against the Miami Marlins, the Astros scored 12 runs on the way to the seven run victory. Alex Bregman and Kyle Tucker both finished with two hits and three runs. The Astros are averaging 4.91 runs while their pitching is giving up 4.17 runs per game. The offense is ranked 6th while the pitching is ranked 9th. On the mound for the Astros will be J.P. France who sits with a 9-3 record and an ERA of 2.74. In his last start against the Angels he went seven innings giving up four hits and two runs.
Astros Betting Trends
- The Astros have won each of their last five night games against American League opponents.
- The Astros have failed to cover the run line in each of their last four games as favorites against American League opponents following a road win.
- The Astros have trailed after 5 innings in four of their last six games as favorites against American League opponents.
- The 'Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Astros' last six games at Minute Maid Park.
- The Astros have led after 7 innings in each of their last five home night games.
Astros vs Mariners Facts
- The Houston Astros ranks 5th in the league for strikeouts against this season (964).
- The Houston Astros ranks 6th in the league for runs scored this season (599).
- The Seattle Mariners ranks 2nd in the league for ERA this season (3.73).
- The Seattle Mariners ranks 2nd in the league for walks allowed this season (310).
Shane’s Free Pick
JP France has been really good this season sitting with an ERA of 2.74 and he’s going to lockdown in this game. The Astros bats also have a ton of confidence heading into this game and he’s going to have no issue against Miller. The Mariners have been playing with fire and it’s going to really catch up with them here. This will be a pretty easy victory for the Astros. Back the Astros -1.5 to cash here.