Tigers vs Guardians Prediction - MLB Picks 8/17/23
Cleveland Guardians (58-63) vs Detroit Tigers (54-66)
Game Info: Thursday, August 17, 2023 at 7:15 pm (Progressive Field)
Xzavion Curry (3-1) (3.39) vs Tarik Skubal (2-2) (4.18)
Betting Odds: Cleveland Guardians +104 / Detroit Tigers -114 --- Over/Under: 8.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: FOX Stream the MLB Game of the Day all season on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Cleveland Indians will host the Detroit Tigers for game one of their divisional series this Thursday from Progressive Field on FOX.
Tigers Preview & Projected Starter
Detroit moved to 53-65 after splitting games with Minnesota. The Tigers held off a fierce rally from the Twins last night to get back into the win column, and they’ll look to move closer to Cleveland in the standings here. The Detroit offense is scoring 2.72 runs per game, while batting .230, with a .300 on-base percentage. The pitching staff carries a 4.41 ERA, with a 1.26 WHIP.
Tarik Skubal (2-2, 4.18 ERA, 36 Ks) will get the call for Detroit. The fourth-year lefty had another tough road spot last week in Fenway, allowing four runs thru 5.1 innings to take his second loss of the season. Skubal has now given up four runs or more in each of his three road starts, and he’ll face another test away from home here in Cleveland. .
Tigers Player Trends & Props
• Riley Greene powered Wednesday’s win with a triple and a home run, and he’s leading the Tigers in batting (.309), with 33 RBI.
• Spencer Torkelson hit three home runs in the two games against the Twins, and he leads Detroit in hits (104), home runs (21), and RBI (63).
• Kerry Carpenter also went yard last night, and after recording a hit in twelve straight games, he’s second in team in both homers (16) and runs batted in (42).
Detroit Tigers Team Facts
• The Tigers have lost four of their last five games as road favorites following a road win.
• The Tigers have failed to cover the run line in eight of their last nine night games against American League opponents that held a losing record.
• The 'Inning 1 OVER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Tigers' last three games as favorites.
Guardians Preview & Projected Starter
Cleveland moved to 58-63 after splitting games with Cincinnati. The Guardians weren’t able to keep up with their in-state rivals last night, and they’ll look to regroup here in division play. The Cleveland offense is scoring 3.98 runs per game, while batting .253, with a .316 on-base percentage. The pitching staff carries a 3.83 ERA, with a 1.26 WHIP.
Xzavion Curry (3-1, 3.39 ERA, 46 Ks) will open the game for Cleveland. The second-year pitcher had a tough time in Tampa last week, allowing a season-worse five runs in five innings to the Rays en route to a Guardians loss. Curry has pitched much better than that this season, and he’ll look to bounce back here at home against a Detroit team he’s had success with this season in two appearances (4 IP, 1 ER, 4 Ks).
Guardians Player Trends & Props
• Jose Ramirez had multiple hits in both matchups in Cincy, and he leads Cleveland home runs (18), while batting .286 with 66 RBI.
• Steven Kwan has multiple hits in four of the previous five games, and he leads the team in hits (131), while batting .272.
• Andrés Giménez had multiple hits in all three games in Tampa over the weekend, and he’s posting splits of .244/11/45. RBI leader Josh Naylor (.306/15/79) remains out of the lineup.
Cleveland Guardians Team Facts
• The Guardians have won six of their last seven games as home underdogs following a loss.
• The Guardians have covered the run line each of their last 10 Thursday night games against AL Central opponents that held a losing record.
• The 'Inning 1 OVER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Guardians' last three games as underdogs.
Corey’s Free Pick
Two rival cities will face off in a pick ‘em spot Monday evening, and I think the host find a way to pull this one out. The Guardians’ decision to sell at the deadline remains questionable, but they’ve managed to remain competitive and win ball games. Prior to the loss to Cincinnati, five of Cleveland’s last seven games were decided by one run, and they’re going to have a chance to keep things close here if Tarik Skubal’s road struggles continue here. Look for a gritty AL Central game here, and spot the Guardians the runs Thursday.