Yankees vs Braves Prediction - MLB Picks 8/16/23
Atlanta Braves (77-42) vs New York Yankees (60-60)
Game Info: Wednesday, August 16, 2023 at 7:20 pm (Truist Park)
Charlie Morton (11-10) (3.71) vs Randy Vasquez (2-1) (1.89)
Betting Odds: Atlanta Braves -238 / New York Yankees +195 --- Over/Under: 9.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: MLB.tv Stream the MLB Game of the Day all season on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The New York Yankees will play the Atlanta Braves in Game 3 of their series on Wednesday night at Truist Park in Atlanta, Georgia. Atlanta has won the first two games in this series by scores of 11-3 and 5-0 and is running away with the NL East. New York has not played well so far this series and it really looks like their ninth inning collapse on Sunday to Miami may have been the knockout punch.
The New York Yankees are 60-60 this season and they have lost four games in a row. Prior to this series, New York lost two out of three games to the Marlins on the road. The Yankees led Game 3 of the Miami series by a score of 7-2 in the eighth inning, but couldn’t close the door and lost 8-7. The New York pitching staff has a 4.06 ERA, a 1.25 WHIP, and a .233 opponent batting average this year. The Yankees offense has scored 514 runs with a .232 batting average and a .307 on base percentage. Gleyber Torres is batting .265 with 18 home runs and 49 RBI’s for the Yankees. The projected starting pitcher for New York is Randy Vasquez, who is 2-1 with a 1.89 ERA and a 1.05 WHIP over 19 innings pitched this season.
The Atlanta Braves are 77-42 this season and they have won five of their last six games. Atlanta came into this series with plenty of momentum, as they took three out of four games against the Mets. The Atlanta offense has been rolling recently, out scoring their opponents by a total of 56-12 in their last six games. The Atlanta pitching staff has a 3.86 ERA, a 1.28 WHIP, and a .242 opponent batting average. The Braves offense has scored 700 runs with a .275 batting average and a .345 on base percentage this season. Ronald Acuna is batting .338 with 27 home runs and 73 RBI’s for the Braves. The projected starting pitcher for Atlanta is Charlie Morton, who is 11-10 with a 3.71 ERA and a 1.46 WHIP over 128.2 innings pitched this year.
Atlanta Braves Team Facts
- The Braves have won eight of their last nine home games.
- The Braves have covered the run line in eight of their last nine home games.
- The Braves have led after 3 innings in each of their last four home games.
- The Braves have led after 5 innings in each of their last four home games.
- The Braves have led after 7 innings in each of their last four home games.
New York Yankees Team Facts
- The Yankees have lost seven of their last eight road games after playing the previous day.
- The Yankees have failed to cover the run line in seven of their last eight road games after playing the previous day.
- The 'Inning 1 OVER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Yankees' last three night games at Truist Park.
- The Atlanta Braves ranks 1st in the league for RBI's this season (676).
- The Atlanta Braves ranks 1st in the league for batting average this season (.275).
- The New York Yankees ranks 29th in the league for hits this season (909).
- The New York Yankees ranks 29th in the league for batting average this season (.232).
The Braves are absolutely dominating their opponents right now and I don’t think any pitcher is going to be able to slow them down. On the other hand, New York continues to struggle offensively and is in the bottom third in the MLB in runs scored. New York is starting Randy Vasquez, who has allowed four earned runs over his last four outings (19 IP). Atlanta is starting Charlie Morton, who has allowed 0, 5, 3, 4, and 4 earned runs in his last four starts. Morton is coming off of a solid start against the Mets, but he has been shaky over the last month or so. I think we have some value on the Yankees in this game, even with Atlanta hitting the ball so well, and I like New York +1.5 here.