New York Mets (54-65) vs Pittsburgh Pirates (53-66)
Game Info: Wednesday, August 16, 2023 at 1:10 pm (Citi Field)
Tylor Megill (6-6) (5.64) vs Johan Oviedo (6-12) (4.42)
Betting Odds: New York Mets -120 / Pittsburgh Pirates +110 --- Over/Under: 9 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: MASN Stream the MLB Game of the Day all season on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Pittsburgh Pirates and New York Mets face off on Wednesday in an MLB showdown at Citi Field. The two teams have split the first two games of this series.
Pirates Bats Need to Get Going
The Pirates need to find a way to get their bats going here. In the first game of this series, the offense scored only two runs total, and they need to find a way to get the offense going here. The Pirates are averaging 4.16 runs while their pitching is giving up 4.9 runs per game. The offense is ranked 24th in the league while the defense is ranked 22nd. On Tuesday the offense did score seven runs on the way to the victory. On the mound for the Pirates will be Johan Oviedo who sits with a 6-12 record and an ERA of 4.42. In his last start against the Reds he went five innings giving up five hits and six runs.
Pirates Betting Trends
- The Pirates have lost 10 of their last 11 road games following a win.
- The Pirates have covered the run line in each of their last five day games against National League opponents.
- The Pirates have led after 5 innings in each of their last six Wednesday day road games.
- The Pirates have led after 7 innings in four of their last five games as road underdogs.
- The 'Inning 1 OVER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Pirates' last three games as underdogs against NL East opponents.
Can Mets Salvage Something From this Season?
The Mets have been awful this season and the question is there anything left to be salvaged from this season? Heading into Tuesday’s game the Mets had won two games in a row and one of those was against the Braves. The Mets are averaging 4.32 runs while their pitching is giving up giving 4.75 runs per game. The offense is ranked 20th in the league while the pitching is ranked 19th. On the mound for the Mets will be Tylor Megill who sits with a 6-6 record and an ERA of 5.64. In his last start against the Braves he went 5.1 innings giving up nine hits and six runs.
Mets Betting Trends
- The Mets have lost six of their last nine games as favorites against NL Central opponents.
- The Mets have failed to cover the run line 12 of their last 15 day games against National League opponents that held a losing record.
- The 'Inning 1 OVER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the last five day games between the Pirates and Mets at Citi Field.
- The Mets have led after 3 innings in each of their last six Wednesday day games against NL Central opponents that held a losing record.
- The Mets have led after 5 innings in each of their last five Wednesday day games against opponents that held a losing record.
Pirates and Mets Facts
- The New York Mets ranks 27th in the league for walks allowed this season (448).
- The New York Mets ranks 26th in the league for hits this season (934).
- The Pittsburgh Pirates ranks 26th in the league for batting average this season (.235).
- The Pittsburgh Pirates ranks 25th in the league for slugging percentage this season (.388).
Shane’s Free Pick
This game is going to be high scoring. Megill gave up six runs in his last start and Oviedo also gave up six runs in his last start. The pitching by both teams is going to be a big issue, and that is going to be the difference as this game is going to be higher scoring. This game is going to have at least 13 or 14 runs total. Back the over to cash here.