Athletics vs Cardinals Prediction - MLB Picks 8/15/23
St. Louis Cardinals (52-66) vs Oakland Athletics (33-85)
Game Info: Tuesday, August 15, 2023 at 7:45 pm (Busch Stadium)
Dakota Hudson (3-0) (4.31) vs () ()
Betting Odds: St. Louis Cardinals -210 / Oakland Athletics +190 --- Over/Under: 9.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
The St. Louis Cardinals will host the Oakland Athletics for game two of their interleague series this Tuesday from Busch Stadium. St. Louis held off Oakland to take game one by two, 7-5.
Athletics Preview & Projected Starter
Oakland moved to 33-86 after losing to St. Louis. The Athletics gave the Cards a good game last night, and they’ll look to avoid a fifth straight loss here in game two. The Oakland offense is scoring 2.81 runs per game, while batting .222, with a .303 on-base percentage. The pitching staff carries a 6.00 ERA, with a 1.62 WHIP.
Oakland has yet to name a starter for Tuesday’s contest.
Athletics Player Trends & Props
• Brent Rooker has recorded a hit in three of the last four games, and he leads Oakland in home runs (19) and RBI (49).
• Seth Brown has produced six runs in the last two games, and he’s posted splits of .223/11/38.
Oakland Athletics Team Facts
• The Athletics have lost each of their last eight road games against National League opponents.
• The Athletics have covered the run line in six of their last seven games against the Cardinals.
Cardinals Preview & Projected Starter
St. Louis moved to 53-66 after defeating Oakland. The Cardinals capitalized on the light spot with the A’s in game one, and they’ll look to double down this Tuesday. won consecutive games in nearly a month, and they’ll look to take care of their Sunflower State foes this weekend. The St. Louis offense is scoring 3.97 runs per game, while batting .258, with a .328 on-base percentage. The pitching staff carries a 4.64 ERA, with a 1.49 WHIP.
Dakota Hudson (3-0, 4.31 ERA, 20 Ks) will get the start for St. Louis. The sixth-year pitcher held his own in Tampa last week, allowing three runs thru five innings, and earning his third victory. Hudson has opened August with a pair of strong outings, and there’s a good chance he continues at home against Oakland here.
Cardinals Player Trends & Props
• Nolan Arenado had his eleven-game hit streak snapped in game one, but he’s St. Louis’ leader in home runs (24) and RBI (82), while batting .283.
• Paul Goldschmidt homered in Monday’s victory, and he leads the Cards in hits (125), with splits of .277/19/61.
• Wilson Contreras has collected a hit in seven straight games, and he’s posting a line of .261/13/49.
• Nolan Gorman has recorded a hit in six of the last eight contests, and he’s tied with Arenado for the team-lead in homers with 24, while batting in 67 runs.
St. Louis Cardinals Team Facts
• The home team has covered the run line in each of the Cardinals' last three games.
• The 'Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the last four night games between the Athletics and Cardinals at Busch Stadium.
Corey’s Free Pick
St. Louis did well last night, and after winning four of their last five games, I think they can bring one more in here. The Cardinals still possess a respectable lineup, miles ahead of what the Athletics can offer, and they should be able to find production again here in game two. Dakota Hudson’s recent form provides optimism as well, and he’ll enter a manageable spot to earn his third straight win that should come down to a matter of run support. Back St. Louis for this interleague matchup.