Athletics vs Cardinals Prediction - MLB Picks 8/14/23
St. Louis Cardinals (52-66) vs Oakland Athletics (33-85)
Game Info: Monday, August 14, 2023 at 7:45 pm (Busch Stadium)
Miles Mikolas (6-8) (4.20) vs JP Sears (2-9) (4.23)
Betting Odds: St. Louis Cardinals -200 / Oakland Athletics +165 --- Over/Under: 8.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: MLB.tv Stream the MLB Game of the Day all season on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Oakland Athletics will play the St. Louis Cardinals in Game 1 of their series on Monday night at Busch Stadium in St. Louis, Missouri. The Cardinals have found some success in their last few games and they will look to continue that against the worst team in the MLB here.
The Oakland Athletics are 33-85 this season and they have lost five of their last six games. Oakland is coming off of a series loss to the Nationals, where they lost all three games in Washington. The Athletics had a 7-2 lead in the ninth inning on Sunday, but they allowed six runs in the final inning for the loss. The Oakland pitching staff has a 5.78 ERA, a 1.53 WHIP, and a .268 opponent batting average this season. The Athletics offense has scored 420 runs with a .222 batting average and a .300 on base percentage. Brent Rooker is batting .237 with 19 home runs and 49 RBI’s for the Athletics. The projected starting pitcher for Oakland is JP Sears, who is 2-9 with a 4.23 ERA and a 1.12 WHIP over 125.2 innings pitched this year.
The St. Louis Cardinals are 52-66 this season and they have won three of their last four games. St. Louis is coming off of a series split with the Royals, where they won one game and lost one game. Prior to that mini series, the Cardinals took two out of three games from the Rays on the road. The St. Louis pitching staff has a 4.55 ERA, a 1.43 WHIP, and a .273 opponent batting average. The Cardinals offense has scored 551 runs with a .258 batting average and a .331 on base percentage this year. Nolan Arenado is batting .287 with 24 home runs and 82 RBI’s for the Cardinals. The projected starting pitcher for St. Louis is Miles Mikolas, who is 6-8 with a 4.20 ERA and a 1.28 WHIP over 141.1 innings pitched this season.
St. Louis Cardinals Team Facts
- The Cardinals have lost eight of their last nine games as home favorites against AL West opponents.
- The Cardinals have failed to cover the run line in eight of their last nine games as home favorites against AL West opponents.
- The Cardinals have trailed after 3 innings in each of their last three Monday night games as favorites.
- The Cardinals have trailed after 7 innings in five of their last seven games as home favorites.
- The 'Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Cardinals' last four home games against American League opponents.
Oakland Athletics Team Facts
- The Athletics have won each of their last five games as road underdogs against NL Central opponents.
- The Athletics have covered the run line in each of their last eight games against NL Central opponents.
- The 'Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Athletics' last three night games at Busch Stadium.
- The Athletics have led after 5 innings in each of their last four games as road underdogs against NL Central opponents.
- The Athletics have led after 3 innings in six of their last nine games as road underdogs against NL Central opponents.
Oakland Athletics Player Prop Facts
- Brent Rooker has hit a home run in each of his last two appearances in night games against NL teams that held a losing record.
- Brent Rooker has recorded at least one RBI in three of his last four appearances against NL Central opponents.
- Brent Rooker has recorded two or more total bases in five of his last six appearances against NL Central opponents.
- Brent Rooker has scored at least one run in each of his four previous appearances in night games against NL teams that held a losing record.
- Brent Rooker has recorded at least one hit in seven of his eight previous appearances against NL opponents that held a losing record.
- The St. Louis Cardinals ranks 29th in the league for hits allowed this season (1111).
- The St. Louis Cardinals are one of only 4 teams in the league to rank top 10 in both home runs and batting average this season.
- The Oakland Athletics ranks 30th in the league for RBI's this season (405).
- The Oakland Athletics ranks 30th in the league for batting average this season (.222).
Oakland is the worst team in the MLB this season and they are 15-44 on the road, while St. Louis is 25-33 at home. The Athletics had a chance to avoid the sweep in Washington on Sunday, but their bullpen absolutely fell apart in the ninth inning. Oakland is starting JP Sears, who has allowed 12 earned runs in his last 19.2 innings of work. St. Louis is starting Miles Mikolas, who has allowed two earned runs or fewer in two straight starts. This Oakland team cannot be trusted, especially on the road, so I am taking the Cardinals to win by at least two runs here.