Tigers vs Red Sox Prediction - MLB Picks 8/13/23
Boston Red Sox (61-56) vs Detroit Tigers (53-64)
Game Info: Sunday, August 13, 2023 at 12:05 pm (Fenway Park)
Kutter Crawford (5-6) (3.80) vs Eduardo Rodriguez (8-5) (2.75)
Betting Odds: Boston Red Sox -135 / Detroit Tigers +114 --- Over/Under: 9.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: Peacock Stream the MLB Game of the Day all season on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Detroit Tigers will play the Boston Red Sox in Game 3 of their series on Sunday afternoon at Fenway Park in Boston, Massachusetts. The Red Sox won Game 1 in this series by a score of 5-2, but Detroit tied the series up with a 6-2 win on Saturday afternoon. Which team is going to come away with the series win?
The Detroit Tigers are 53-64 this season and they have won four of their last five games. Prior to this series, Detroit won three out of four games at home against the Twins. The Tigers are one of the lowest scoring teams in the MLB, but they have scored six runs or more in three of their last five games. The Detroit pitching staff has a 4.44 ERA, a 1.26 WHIP, and a .246 opponent batting average this year. The Tigers offense has scored 463 runs with a .235 batting average and a .300 on base percentage. Spencer Torkelson is batting .229 with 18 home runs and 62 RBI’s for the Tigers. The projected starting pitcher for Detroit is Eduardo Rodriguez, who is 8-5 with a 2.75 ERA and a 1.05 WHIP over 101.1 innings pitched this season.
Red Sox Preview
The Boston Red Sox are 61-56 this season and they have won three of their last four games. Boston came into this series with some momentum, after taking three out of four games at home against the Royals. The Red Sox are only a few games back in the Wild Card chase, but they really can’t afford to lose a home series to a team like Detroit. The Boston pitching staff has a 4.34 ERA, a 1.31 WHIP, and a .256 opponent batting average. The Red Sox offense has scored 565 runs with a .261 batting average and a .327 on base percentage this season. Rafael Devers is batting .265 with 26 home runs and 79 RBI’s for the Red Sox. The projected starting pitcher for Boston is Kutter Crawford, who is 5-6 with a 3.80 ERA and a 1.15 WHIP over 85.1 innings pitched this year.
Boston Red Sox Team Facts
- The Red Sox have won each of their last eight home games against AL Central opponents following a home loss.
- The Red Sox have failed to cover the run line in each of their last six day games against American League opponents.
- The Red Sox have trailed after 3 innings in each of their last three day games against American League opponents.
- The Red Sox have trailed after 5 innings in each of their last four day games against AL Central opponents.
- The Red Sox have trailed after 7 innings in each of their last five day games against American League opponents.
Detroit Tigers Team Facts
- The Tigers have lost each of their last 10 Sunday day games against AL East opponents.
- The Tigers have failed to cover the run line in 14 of their last 16 games against AL East opponents following a win.
- The Tigers have led after 7 innings in four of their last five games as underdogs.
Boston Red Sox Player Prop Facts
- Justin Turner has hit a home run in two of the Red Sox's last three day games against opponents that held a losing record.
- Connor Wong has recorded at least one RBI in four of his last five appearances against AL Central opponents at Fenway Park.
- Trevor Story has recorded two or more total bases in seven of his eight previous appearances with his team as a favorite against the Tigers.
- Justin Turner has scored at least one run in four of the Red Sox's last five day games against AL opponents that held a losing record.
- Trevor Story has recorded at least one hit in each of his eight previous appearances against the Tigers.
Detroit Tigers Player Prop Facts
- Kerry Carpenter has hit at least one home run in four of the Tigers' last five road games against AL opponents that held a winning record.
- Riley Greene has recorded an RBI in each of the Tigers' last four games as underdogs against AL opponents.
- Javier Baez has scored at least one run in eight of his last nine road appearances.
- Kerry Carpenter has recorded three or more total bases in each of the Tigers' last four games against AL East opponents.
- Eduardo Rodriguez has recorded six or more strikeouts in each of his last six Sunday appearances at Fenway Park.
- Kerry Carpenter has recorded at least one hit in each of the Tigers' last 11 games against AL opponents that held a winning record.
- The Boston Red Sox are one of only 4 teams in the league to rank top 10 in both strikeouts and on-base percentage this season.
- The Boston Red Sox ranks T4th in the league for walks allowed this season (336).
- The Detroit Tigers ranks 28th in the league for RBI's this season (445).
- The Detroit Tigers ranks 28th in the league for on-base percentage this season (.300).
Detroit is coming off of a nice win on Saturday and they have out scored their opponents by a total of 26-12 in their last five games. The Red Sox are 34-28 at home and they have allowed three runs or fewer in four of their last six games. Detroit is starting Eduardo Rodriguez, who has allowed two earned runs or fewer in four of his last five starts. Boston is starting Kutter Crawford, who has allowed one earned run or fewer in three of his last five starts. Rodriguez has been very good for the Tigers this year, but I am taking the Red Sox in this game. This is a big game for Boston and their lineup is much better than Detroit’s. Take Boston to get the win.