Pittsburgh Pirates (52-64) vs Cincinnati Reds (61-57)
Game Info: Sunday, August 13, 2023 at 1:35 pm (PNC Park)
Mitch Keller/Andre Jackson vs Brandon Williamson/Luke Weaver
Betting Odds: Pittsburgh Pirates / Cincinnati Reds --- Over/Under: Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: MLB.tv Stream the MLB Game of the Day all season on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Cincinnati Reds will play the Pittsburgh Pirates in a doubleheader on Sunday afternoon at PNC Park in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Cincinnati won the first game in this series by a score of 9-2 on Friday night, while the game on Saturday was rained out. The Reds are now in third in the NL Central and they could really use two wins here.
The Cincinnati Reds are 61-57 this season and they have lost eight of their last ten games. Prior to this series, Cincinnati lost two out of three games at home to the Marlins. The Reds have really struggled over the last couple of weeks and they need to get better pitching if they want to play in the postseason. The Cincinnati pitching staff has a 4.81 ERA, a 1.42 WHIP, and a .260 opponent batting average this season. The Reds offense has scored 573 runs with a .251 batting average and a .327 on base percentage. TJ Friedl is batting .282 with 10 home runs and 46 RBI’s for the Reds. The projected starting pitcher in Game 1 is Brandon Williamson, who is 4-2 with a 4.54 ERA and a 1.26 WHIP over 75.1 innings pitched. The projected starting pitcher for Cincinnati in Game 2 is Luke Weaver, who is 2-4 with a 6.75 ERA and a 1.63 WHIP over 93.1 innings pitched this year.
The Pittsburgh Pirates are 52-64 this season and they have lost three of their last four games. Pittsburgh played really well in their last series against the Braves, where they won two games and lost two games. The Pirates offense scored 25 runs in the four game series with Atlanta. The Pittsburgh pitching staff has a 4.59 ERA, a 1.40 WHIP, and a .255 opponent batting average. The Pirates offense has scored 484 runs with a .236 batting average and a .312 on base percentage this year. Jack Suwinski is batting .210 with 21 home runs and 53 RBI’s for the Pirates. The projected starting pitcher for Pittsburgh in Game 1 is Mitch Keller, who is 9-8 with a 4.39 ERA and a 1.27 WHIP over 143.2 innings pitched this season. The projected starting pitcher in Game 2 is Andre Jackson, who 0-0 with a 0.00 ERA in three innings of work this year.
Pittsburgh Pirates Team Facts
- The Pirates have won each of their last four day games following a loss.
- The Pirates have covered the run line in seven of their last eight games against National League opponents following a loss.
- The Pirates have trailed after 3 innings in each of their last five games at PNC Park against NL Central opponents that held a winning record.
- The Pirates have trailed after 5 innings in each of their last seven day games at PNC Park against National League opponents.
- The Pirates have trailed after 7 innings in each of their last four games at PNC Park against NL Central opponents that held a winning record.
Cincinnati Reds Team Facts
- The Reds have won each of their last seven road games against National League opponents that held a losing record.
- The Reds have failed to cover the run line in eight of their last nine games on the first leg of a doubleheader.
- The 'Inning 1 OVER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Reds' last four road games against National League opponents.
- The Reds have led after 3 innings in each of their last five road games against National League opponents that held a losing record.
- The Reds have led after 5 innings in each of their last four games against National League opponents.
- The Pittsburgh Pirates ranks 25th in the league for runs scored this season (484).
- The Pittsburgh Pirates ranks 25th in the league for RBI's this season (463).
- The Cincinnati Reds ranks 28th in the league for home runs allowed this season (165).
- The Cincinnati Reds ranks 27th in the league for walks allowed this season (434).
The Reds were able to get a big win on Friday night and they will look for the series win in this doubleheader. Cincinnati has had a ton of issues over the last ten games and they are trailing the Brewers and Cubs in the NL Central. In Game 1 of this doubleheader, I think we are going to see plenty of runs scored by both teams, so I like the over. In Game 2, the Pirates will be going with more of a bullpen approach, while the Reds will start Luke Weaver. While Weaver has been inconsistent this year, I think he will get the job done. Take the Reds to get the win in the second game.