Athletics vs Nationals Prediction - MLB Picks 8/13/23
Washington Nationals (52-66) vs Oakland Athletics (33-84)
Game Info: Sunday, August 13, 2023 at 1:35 pm (Nationals Park)
Trevor Williams (5-7) (5.00) vs Ken Waldichuk (2-7) (6.30)
Betting Odds: Washington Nationals -135 / Oakland Athletics +114 --- Over/Under: 9.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: MLB.tv Stream the MLB Game of the Day all season on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Oakland Athletics will play the Washington Nationals in Game 3 of their series on Sunday afternoon at Nationals Park in Washington, DC. Washington has won the first two games in this series by scores of 8-2 and 3-2. Oakland continues to be one of the worst teams in baseball, but they will try to avoid the sweep here.
The Oakland Athletics are 33-84 this season and they have lost four of their last five games. Prior to this series, Oakland lost two out of three games at home to Texas. The Athletics are the lowest scoring team in the MLB and they have scored a total of 10 runs in their last five games. The Oakland pitching staff has a 5.78 ERA, a 1.53 WHIP, and a .268 opponent batting average this season. The Athletics offense has scored 413 runs with a .221 batting average and a .300 on base percentage. Brent Rooker is batting .240 with 19 home runs and 49 RBI’s for the Athletics. The projected starting pitcher for Oakland is Ken Waldichuk, who is 2-7 with a 6.30 ERA and a 1.71 WHIP over 94.1 innings pitched this year.
The Washington Nationals are 52-66 this season and they have won three of their last five games. Washington lost three out of four games to the Phillies in their last series, but they have won the first two games in this one. The Nationals have found some success over the last two weeks, winning series against Cincinnati and Milwaukee. The Washington pitching staff has a 4.86 ERA, a 1.46 WHIP, and a .269 opponent batting average. The Nationals offense has scored 509 runs with a .259 batting average and a .319 on base percentage this year. Lane Thomas is batting .284 with 20 home runs and 68 RBI’s for the Nationals. The projected starting pitcher for Washington is Trevor Williams, who is 5-7 with a 5.00 ERA and a 1.51 WHIP over 113.1 innings pitched this season.
Washington Nationals Team Facts
- The Nationals have won each of their last nine games as home favorites against American League opponents following a home win.
- The Nationals have covered the run line in each of their last seven day games against American League opponents.
- The Nationals have led after 7 innings in each of their last five day games against American League opponents that held a losing record.
- The Nationals have led after 5 innings in each of their last four day games at Nationals Park against American League opponents.
Oakland Athletics Team Facts
- The Athletics have lost each of their last eight day games against NL East opponents.
- The Athletics have failed to cover the run line in six of their last seven games as road underdogs against NL East opponents.
- The Athletics have led after 7 innings in each of their last four day games against NL East opponents that held a losing record.
Washington Nationals Player Prop Facts
- Joey Meneses has hit at least one home run in four of the Nationals' last six home games against AL West opponents.
- Dominic Smith has scored a run in each of the Nationals' last four day games against AL opponents that held a losing record.
- Lane Thomas has recorded three or more total bases in each of the Nationals' last three day games.
- CJ Abrams has recorded at least one hit in each of his last nine appearances in day games against teams that held a losing record.
Oakland Athletics Player Prop Facts
- Seth Brown has hit a home run in four of his last 16 appearances against NL East opponents.
- Shea Langeliers has recorded two or more total bases in three of his last five road appearances against NL opponents that held a losing record.
- The Washington Nationals ranks 2nd in the league for strikeouts against this season (842).
- The Washington Nationals ranks 29th in the league for strikeouts this season (885).
- The Oakland Athletics ranks 30th in the league for RBI's this season (398).
- The Oakland Athletics ranks 30th in the league for batting average this season (.221).
These two teams are at the bottom of their divisions, but Washington still has 19 more wins than Oakland does. The Athletics are only 15-43 on the road this season, while Washington is 24-34 at home. Washington is starting Trevor Williams, who has allowed 15 earned runs in his last three starts (14.2 IP). Oakland is starting Ken Waldichuk, who has allowed six earned runs in his last 14.1 innings of work. Williams has not been good for the Nationals lately, so I am going to take Oakland on the road here.