Yankees vs Marlins Prediction - MLB Picks 8/11/23
Miami Marlins (60-56) vs New York Yankees (59-56)
Game Info: Friday, August 11, 2023 at 6:40 pm (loanDepot park)
Jesus Luzardo (8-6) (3.52) vs Randy Vasquez (1-1) (1.17)
Betting Odds: Miami Marlins -118 / New York Yankees -102 --- Over/Under: 7.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: MLB.tv Stream the MLB Game of the Day all season on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The New York Yankees will play the Miami Marlins in Game 1 of their series on Friday night at loanDepot park in Miami, Florida. New York comes into this game in last place in the AL East, but they are still fighting for an AL Wild Card berth. On the other side, Miami is coming off of a much needed series win, but they have really struggled over the last few weeks.
The New York Yankees are 59-56 this season and they have lost four of their last six games. New York is coming off of a series loss to the White Sox, where they lost two out of three games. The Yankees scored two runs or fewer in both losses and their offense continues to be a major sore spot. The New York pitching staff has a 3.97 ERA, a 1.24 WHIP, and a .231 opponent batting average this season. The Yankees offense has scored 494 runs with a .232 batting average and a .306 on base percentage. Gleyber Torres is batting .270 with 18 home runs and 48 RBI’s for the Yankees. The projected starting pitcher for New York is Randy Vasquez, who is 1-1 with a 1.17 ERA and a 1.04 WHIP over 15.1 innings pitched this year.
The Miami Marlins are 60-56 this season and they have lost five of their last seven games. Miami is coming off of a series win against the Reds, where they won two out of three games in Cincinnati. The Marlins are clinging to a NL Wild Card berth, but they need to hit the ball much more consistently if they want to hang onto it. The Miami pitching staff has a 4.16 ERA, a 1.27 WHIP, and a .244 opponent batting average. The Marlins offense has scored 470 runs with a .262 batting average and a .318 on base percentage this year. Jorge Soler is batting .246 with 28 home runs and 62 RBI’s for the Marlins. The projected starting pitcher for Miami is Jesus Luzardo, who is 8-6 with a 3.52 ERA and a 1.20 WHIP over 130.1 innings pitched this season.
Miami Marlins Team Facts
- The Marlins have lost nine of their last 10 home games against AL East opponents.
- The Marlins have failed to cover the run line in each of their last six night games at LoanDepot Park following a win.
- The Marlins have trailed after 5 innings in each of their last eight games against opponents that held a winning record.
- The 'Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Marlins' last five home games against AL East opponents.
New York Yankees Team Facts
- The Yankees have lost each of their last 10 Friday games as underdogs.
- The Yankees have failed to cover the run line in each of their last 10 Friday games.
- The 'Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Yankees' last three games.
Miami Marlins Player Prop Facts
- Jesus Luzardo has recorded seven or more strikeouts in seven of his last eight appearances at LoanDepot Park.
New York Yankees Player Prop Facts
- Giancarlo Stanton has hit a home run in each of the Yankees' last three night games against opponents that held a winning record.
- Giancarlo Stanton has recorded at least one RBI in each of his last four appearances in night games against NL East teams that held a winning record.
- Isiah Kiner-Falefa has scored at least one run in each of the Yankees' last six games as road underdogs against NL opponents.
- Gleyber Torres has recorded at least one hit in each of the Yankees' last nine games.
- Gleyber Torres has recorded at least one total base in each of the Yankees' last nine games.
- The Miami Marlins ranks 4th in the league for hits this season (1035).
- The Miami Marlins ranks 27th in the league for home runs this season (109).
- The New York Yankees ranks 29th in the league for hits this season (872).
- The New York Yankees ranks 29th in the league for batting average this season (.232).
This is a huge series for both teams, as they try to chase a Wild Card berth for the postseason. Miami is currently holding the last NL Wild Card spot, but they have two teams that are just a half game back. New York is a few games out of the last AL Wild Card spot and they need to go on a run if they want to have a chance. The Yankees are starting Randy Vasquez, who has been very sharp in three starts this year. Miami is starting Jesus Luzardo, who has had a solid year, but has allowed eight earned runs in his last two starts. Luzardo has looked shaky in his last two outings, so I am going to side with the Yankees in this one.