Orioles vs Mariners Prediction - MLB Picks 8/11/23
Seattle Mariners (62-52) vs Baltimore Orioles (71-44)
Game Info: Friday, August 11, 2023 at 10:10 pm (T-Mobile Park)
Luis Castillo (7-7) (3.28) vs Kyle Gibson (11-6) (4.50)
Betting Odds: Seattle Mariners -140 / Baltimore Orioles +129 --- Over/Under: 8 Click Here for the Latest Odds
The Baltimore Orioles will head out to the Pacific Northwest to start a three-game set with the Seattle Mariners this Friday from T-Mobile Park.
Orioles Preview & Projected Starter
Baltimore comes in at 71-44 after dropping two of three to Houston. The Orioles avoided being swept for the first time this season last night, and they’ll look to start a successful road trip here. The Baltimore offense is scoring 4.95 runs per game, while batting .252, with a .329 on-base percentage. The pitching staff carries a 4.09 ERA, with a 1.29 WHIP.
Kyle Gibson (11-6, 4.50 ERA, 117 Ks) will take the bump for Baltimore. The veteran righty opened August on a strong note against New York in interleague play last time out, tossing nine strikeouts thru seven full innings to earn his second straight victory. Gibson has been pretty good since delivering a gem in a revenge spot in Minnesota, with five of his last six outings resulting in quality starts. Now despite his recent success, Gibson will have to display that here after a rough showing against Seattle at Camden back in June that saw him cough up five runs in just innings pitched.
Orioles Player Trends & Props
• Adley Rutschmann homered in two of three games against the Astros, and after producing a run in eight of the last nine games, he leads Baltimore in hits (116), with splits of .276/16/57.
• Anthony Santander had a quiet series with Houston, but he still leads Baltimore in HR (20) and RBI (63).
• Ryan Mountcastle also went yard in two of three contests this week, and after collecting a hit in twelve straight games, he’s posting a line of .268/15/53.
• Gunnar Henderson has recorded a hit in seven of the last ten games, and he’s totaled 19 homers and 51 RBI for the season.
Mariners Preview & Projected Starter
Seattle moved to 62-52 after taking two from San Diego. The Mariners used timely hitting to send the Padres home with a loss, and they’ll now look to extend their seven-game win streak this weekend. The Seattle offense is 3.87 scoring runs per game, while batting .234, with a .313 on-base percentageThe pitching staff carries a 3.55 ERA, with a 1.19 WHIP.
Luis Castillo (7-7, 3.21 ERA, 149 Ks) will start for Seattle. The seventh-year pitcher’s trip to Anaheim did not go well last week, allowing a season-worse seven runs over six innings, but luckily avoiding the defeat due to it simply being the Angels. Castillo delivered three straight quality starts prior to having a tough time in SoCal, and after three straight road outings, a return to Seattle should be huge for him here in this matchup of postseason hopefuls.
Mariners Player Trends & Props
• Julio Rodriguez has multiple hits in four of the last five games, and he leads Seattle in hits (119), with 18 home runs (18) and 62 RBI.
• Eugenio Suarez has produced a run in seven of the previous ten games, and he leads the Mariners in RBI (72), while hitting sixteen homers.
• J.P. Crawford collected three hits in the game one victory, and he leads the team in batting at .266, with 38 RBI.
• Teoscar Hernandez has recorded a hit in eight of the last ten games, and he’s second on the team in home runs (17), while being third in runs batted in (60).
• Cal Raleigh went yard in Thursday’s victory, and he’s first on the club in homers (19), with 49 RBI.
Corey’s Free Pick
Seattle has found their stride and they’re going to have to fight to keep it alive with the leaders of the best division in sports coming to town. Baltimore had a tough time finishing off Houston at home, and while I believe they will end Seattle’s win streak at some point this weekend, it won’t happen in game one. The Mariners will turn to their ace after receiving strong efforts from their rotation, and Luis Castillo is trustworthy at home. There’s a potential pitchers duel in play with Kyle Gibson set to go for the O’s, but let’s roll with the streaking hosts here, as they look to gain more ground in the AL Wild Card picture. Back Seattle for game one this Friday.