Blue Jays vs Guardians Prediction - MLB Picks 8/10/23
Cleveland Guardians (55-60) vs Toronto Blue Jays (65-51)
Game Info: Thursday, August 10, 2023 at 1:10 pm (Progressive Field)
Noah Syndergaard (1-5) (6.75) vs Alek Manoah (3-8) (5.72)
Betting Odds: Cleveland Guardians +114 / Toronto Blue Jays -135 --- Over/Under: 9.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: MLB.tv Stream the MLB Game of the Day all season on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Toronto Blue Jays will play the Cleveland Guardians in Game 4 of their series on Thursday afternoon at Progressive Field in Cleveland, Ohio. Toronto has won two of the first three games in this series by scores of 3-1 and 1-0, while Cleveland won Game 2 by a score of 1-0. These two teams are trending in opposite directions, but can the Blue Jays end with the series win?
Blue Jays Preview
The Toronto Blue Jays are 65-51 this season and they have won five of their last six games. Toronto came into this series after they swept the Red Sox in Boston. The Blue Jays have pitched extremely well recently, allowing one earned run or fewer in four straight games. The Toronto pitching staff has a 3.72 ERA, a 1.25 WHIP, and a .241 opponent batting average this season. The Blue Jays offense has scored 520 runs with a .260 batting average and a .330 on base percentage. Whit Merrifield is batting .297 with 10 home runs and 52 RBI’s for the Blue Jays. The projected starting pitcher for Toronto is Alek Manoah, who is 3-8 with a 5.72 ERA and a 1.74 WHIP over 83.1 innings pitched this year.
The Cleveland Guardians are 55-60 this season and they have lost seven of their last nine games. Prior to losing two of the first three games in this series, Cleveland lost two out of three games at home to the lowly White Sox. The Guardians continue to struggle to score runs and they are one of the lowest scoring teams in the MLB. Cleveland has scored three runs or fewer in four straight games. The Cleveland pitching staff has a 3.77 ERA, a 1.27 WHIP, and a .242 opponent batting average. The Guardians offense has scored 459 runs with a .249 batting average and a .311 on base percentage this year. Steven Kwan is batting .268 with five home runs and 38 RBI’s for the Guardians. The projected starting pitcher for Cleveland is Noah Syndergaard, who is 1-5 with a 6.75 ERA and a 1.40 WHIP over 66.2 innings pitched this season.
Cleveland Guardians Team Facts
- The Guardians have won six of their last seven games as home underdogs against the Blue Jays following a home loss.
- The Guardians have covered the run line in seven of their last eight games against the Blue Jays.
- The Guardians have trailed after 5 innings in each of their last five Thursday day games against American League opponents that held a winning record.
- The Guardians have trailed after 7 innings in each of their last five Thursday day games against opponents that held a winning record.
- The 'Inning 1 OVER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the last three day games between the Blue Jays and Guardians.
Toronto Blue Jays Team Facts
- The Blue Jays have lost five of their last six games as road favorites against the Guardians following a road win.
- The Blue Jays have covered the run line in seven of their last eight games following a road win.
- The Blue Jays have trailed after 7 innings in four of their last six games as road favorites.
- The 'Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Blue Jays' last eight day games against American League opponents.
- The Blue Jays have trailed after 3 innings in four of their last six games as road favorites.
Cleveland Guardians Player Prop Facts
- Ramon Laureano has hit a home run in four of his last eight appearances against the Blue Jays after playing the previous day.
- Ramon Laureano has scored at least one run in five of his last six home appearances against the Blue Jays after playing the previous day.
- Steven Kwan has recorded three total bases in each of the Guardians' last two day games against AL East opponents that held a winning record.
- Andres Gimenez has recorded at least one hit in each of the Guardians' last eight Thursday games.
Toronto Blue Jays Player Prop Facts
- Brandon Belt has hit a home run in three of his last six road appearances with the Blue Jays against AL opponents.
- George Springer has recorded at least one RBI in each of his last three appearances in day games against AL teams that held a losing record.
- Alek Manoah has recorded five or more strikeouts in each of his last four appearances against AL opponents.
- Vladimir Guerrero Jr. has recorded two or more total bases in each of the Blue Jays' last four games as road favorites.
- George Springer has scored at least one run in six of his last seven appearances in day games against AL teams that held a losing record.
- Brandon Belt has recorded at least one hit in each of his last seven road appearances against AL opponents.
- The Cleveland Guardians ranks 29th in the league for RBI's this season (430).
- The Cleveland Guardians ranks 2nd in the league for home runs allowed this season (117).
- The Toronto Blue Jays ranks 3rd in the league for hits this season (1037).
- The Toronto Blue Jays are one of only 4 teams in the league to rank top 10 in both strikeouts and on-base percentage this season.
The Blue Jays will look to secure another series win, while Cleveland tries to stay remotely close to the Twins in the AL Central. The Blue Jays are definitely missing the presence of Bo Bichette in the lineup, but their pitching has been fantastic this year. Toronto is starting Alek Manoah, who has allowed three earned runs or fewer in three straight starts. Cleveland is starting Noah Syndergaard, who has allowed six earned runs in his last 11.1 innings pitched. While I don’t trust Manoah on the mound, he has a very favorable matchup against this Cleveland lineup. Give me the Blue Jays here.