Yankees vs White Sox Prediction - MLB Picks 8/9/23
Chicago White Sox (46-69) vs New York Yankees (59-55)
Game Info: Wednesday, August 9, 2023 at 8:10 pm (Guaranteed Rate Field)
Mike Clevinger (4-5) (3.72) vs Luis Severino (2-6) (7.74)
Betting Odds: Chicago White Sox / New York Yankees --- Over/Under: Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: MLB.tv Stream the MLB Game of the Day all season on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The New York Yankees will play the Chicago White Sox in Game 3 of their series on Wednesday night at Guaranteed Rate Field in Chicago, Illinois. Chicago won the first game in this series by a score of 5-1, but New York won the second game by a score of 7-1. The Yankees had plenty of chances in Game 1, but they could only manage the one run before having a big night on Tuesday.
The New York Yankees are 59-55 this season and they have lost six of their last ten games. Prior to this series, New York split a four game series with the Astros. The Yankees continue to have some hitting woes, as they have scored three runs or fewer in six of their last ten games. The New York pitching staff has a 3.93 ERA, a 1.23 WHIP, and a .230 opponent batting average. The Yankees offense has scored 492 runs with a .232 batting average and a .306 on base percentage this season. Gleyber Torres is batting .269 with 18 home runs and 48 RBI’s for the Yankees. The projected starting pitcher for New York is Luis Severino, who is 2-6 with a 7.74 ERA and a 1.85 WHIP over 61.2 innings pitched this year.
White Sox Preview
The Chicago White Sox are 46-69 this season and they have won three of their last four games. Chicago came into this series after winning two out of three games on the road in Cleveland. The White Sox have played horrible baseball over the last couple of months, but they have had some success in their last four games. The Chicago pitching staff has a 4.60 ERA, a 1.38 WHIP, and a .245 opponent batting average this year. The White Sox offense has scored 470 runs with a .237 batting average and a .294 on base percentage. Luis Robert is batting .269 with 31 home runs and 65 RBI’s for the White Sox. The projected starting pitcher for Chicago is Mike Clevinger, who is 4-5 with a 3.72 ERA and a 1.32 WHIP over 72.2 innings pitched this season.
Chicago White Sox Team Facts
- The White Sox have lost each of their last seven night games against AL East opponents following a home loss.
- The White Sox have failed to cover the run line four of their last five games against teams that held a winning record.
- The 'Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the last nine games between the Yankees and White Sox.
New York Yankees Team Facts
- The Yankees have lost seven of their last eight night games following a win.
- The Yankees have failed to cover the run line in each of their last five road games following a win.
- The 'Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Yankees' last three games at Guaranteed Rate Field.
- The Chicago White Sox ranks 29th in the league for walks allowed this season (450).
- The Chicago White Sox ranks 3rd in the league for strikeouts this season (1086).
- The New York Yankees ranks 29th in the league for batting average this season (.232).
- The New York Yankees ranks 2nd in the league for opponent batting average this season (.230).
The Yankees have yet to name a starting pitcher for this contest, but it is Severino’s turn in the rotation. Severino has not been good for the Yankees this season and he has allowed 14 earned runs in his last two starts (7.1 IP). Chicago is starting Mike Clevinger, who has allowed three earned runs over his last three starts (14.2 IP). This game is tough to call because the Yankees have hit the ball so inconsistently, while the White Sox have struggled over the last three months. I am going to assume Severino stays in the rotation, so I am going to take the White Sox here.