Dodgers vs Diamondbacks Prediction - MLB Picks 8/9/23
Arizona Diamondbacks (57-56) vs Los Angeles Dodgers (65-46)
Game Info: Wednesday, August 9, 2023 at 9:40 pm (Chase Field)
Merrill Kelly (9-5) (3.38) vs Bobby Miller (6-2) (4.26)
Betting Odds: Arizona Diamondbacks -105 / Los Angeles Dodgers -120 --- Over/Under: 9 Click Here for the Latest Odds
The Los Angeles Dodgers will meet the Arizona Diamondbacks in Phoenix for game two of their divisional set this Wednesday from Chase Field. Los Angeles took game one in a hectic finish, 5-4.
Dodgers Preview & Projected Starter
Los Angeles moved to 66-46 after defeating Arizona. The Dodgers held off the DBacks late last night, and they’ll look to win a four straight game here. The Los Angeles offense is scoring 5.04 runs per game, while batting .248, with a .330 on-base percentage. The pitching staff carries a 4.50 ERA, with a 1.28 WHIP.
Bobby Miller (6-2, 4.26 ERA, 53 Ks) will make the start for Los Angeles. The rookie righty had a short start in San Diego last week, only going 3.2 innings and allowing two runs, but the LAD bats would take control of the contest and get him out of the decision. Miller’s been a bit shaky since starting his first season on a strong note, and this will mark his third taste of NL West action overall.
Dodgers Player Trends & Props
• Freddie Freeman has multiple hits in seven of the previous nine games, and he leads the Dodgers in BA (.343) hits (154), and RBI (81), with 23 homers.
• Mookie Betts has totaled multiple bases in seven of his last eight games, and after extending his hit streak to fifteen games, he leads the team in home runs (31), with 77 RBI.
• Amed Rosario has produced a run in four of the last seven games, and he’s batting .264, with 49 RBI for the season.
Diamondbacks Preview & Projected Starter
Arizona enters at 57-57 after falling to Los Angeles. The Diamondbacks have reverted to their old ways, at the wrong point in the season, and they’ll attempt to avoid an eighth straight loss here to open August. The Arizona offense is scoring 4.34 runs per game, while batting .257, with a .326 on-base percentage. The pitching staff carries a 4.41 ERA, with a 1.34 WHIP.
Merrill Kelly (9-5, 3.21 ERA, 118 Ks) will get the call for Arizona. The fifth-year pitcher came through with a strong start in Minnesota last week, striking out nine in six innings pitched. Kelly’s been engulfed by the Diamondbacks’ struggles, but he’s managed to still go out and pitch well. Kelly has held clubs to three runs or less in nine of his last ten starts, and he’ll look to avenge a pair of rough outings against the Dodgers from April here.
DBacks Player Trends & Props
• Corbin Carroll has collected a hit in four of the previous five games, and he’s posting nice splits of .276/21/59.
• Ketel Marte snapped a five-game hitless streak with a pair of knocks in the game one loss, and he’s first on the team in batting (.284) and hits (117), with eighteen homers and 58 RBI.
• Christian Walker has multiple hits in back-to-back games, and he’s Arizona’s leader in home runs (23) and RBI (70).
• Lourdes Gurriel Jr. has produced a run in five of the last eight games, and he’s posting a line of .255/18/61.
Corey’s Free Pick
What has happened in the desert over the second half of the season was expected, but it’s sad to see. Yes, we knew the DBacks was overachieving, but they really put some heat on the division leading Dodgers over the course of the first portion of the year. Arizona will hold an advantage on the mound with Merrill Kelly, but their overall struggles are too much to trust right now against a fine-tuned Los Angeles lineup. Trust the best one-two punch in baseball and roll with the Dodgers for this NL West battle.