Pittsburgh Pirates (51-62) vs Atlanta Braves (71-40)
Game Info: Wednesday, August 9, 2023 at 7:05 pm (PNC Park)
Quinn Priester (2-1) (8.69) vs Max Fried (3-1) (1.69)
Betting Odds: Pittsburgh Pirates +228 / Atlanta Braves -275 --- Over/Under: 9 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: MLB.tv Stream the MLB Game of the Day all season on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Atlanta Braves will play the Pittsburgh Pirates in Game 3 of their series on Wednesday night at PNC Park in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Pittsburgh got the win in Game 1 by a score of 7-6, while Atlanta won Game 2 by a score of 8-6 on Tuesday. The Pirates led for most of the game on Tuesday, but allowed three runs in the top of the ninth for the loss.
The Atlanta Braves are 71-40 this season and they have lost three of their last four games. Prior to this series, Atlanta lost two out of three games against the Cubs in Chicago. The Braves have had some issues pitching in recent games and they have allowed six runs or more in four straight games. The Atlanta pitching staff has a 3.91 ERA, a 1.28 WHIP, and a .243 opponent batting average this season. The Braves offense has scored 633 runs with a .271 batting average and a .341 on base percentage. Ronald Acuna is batting .339 with 26 home runs and 68 RBI’s for the Braves. The projected starting pitcher for Atlanta is Max Fried, who is 3-1 with a 1.69 ERA and a 0.97 WHIP over 32.0 innings pitched this year.
The Pittsburgh Pirates are 51-62 this season and they have won three of their last five games. Prior to splitting the first two games in this series, Pittsburgh split a four game series on the road in Milwaukee. The Pirates have been more competitive over the last few weeks and they are now fourth in the NL Central. The Pittsburgh pitching staff has a 4.54 ERA, a 1.39 WHIP, and a .252 opponent batting average. The Pirates offense has scored 470 runs with a .236 batting average and a .312 on base percentage this year. Bryan Reynolds is batting .267 with 15 home runs and 54 RBI’s for the Pirates. The projected starting pitcher for Pittsburgh is Quinn Priester, who is 2-1 with an 8.69 ERA and a 1.78 WHIP over 19.2 innings pitched this season.
Pittsburgh Pirates Team Facts
- The Pirates have won seven of their last eight games as underdogs following a loss.
- The Pirates have covered the run line in seven of their last eight games as underdogs following a loss.
- The Pirates have led after 5 innings in each of their last five games as underdogs.
- The Pirates have led after 7 innings in each of their last five games as underdogs.
- The Pirates have led after 3 innings in each of their last three Wednesday night games as underdogs.
Atlanta Braves Team Facts
- The Braves have lost four of their last five games as road favorites after playing the previous day.
- The Braves have failed to cover the run line in eight of their last nine games as road favorites following a road win.
- The Braves have trailed after 5 innings in each of their last four games as favorites.
- The Braves have trailed after 7 innings in each of their last four games as road favorites against NL Central opponents.
Pittsburgh Pirates Player Prop Facts
- Connor Joe has hit a home run in each of his last two appearances with the Pirates against NL opponents.
- Ke'Bryan Hayes has recorded three RBIs in three of his last four appearances at PNC Park against NL opponents that held a winning record.
- Bryan Reynolds has scored at least one run in seven of the Pirates' last eight home games.
- Connor Joe has recorded at least one total base in each of his last seven appearances at PNC Park.
- Bryan Reynolds has recorded at least one hit in each of his last 10 Wednesday night appearances with the Pirates at PNC Park.
Atlanta Braves Player Prop Facts
- Eddie Rosario has hit at least one home run in three of the Braves' last five games against NL opponents that held a losing record.
- Michael Harris has recorded two or more total bases in five of his last six appearances in night games against NL Central teams that held a losing record.
- Matt Olson has recorded at least one RBI in each of the Braves' last 11 games as favorites.
- Ozzie Albies has scored at least one run in each of the Braves' last 17 games against NL Central opponents.
- Michael Harris has recorded at least one hit in each of the Braves' last nine games as favorites against the Pirates.
- Ronald Acuna Jr. ranks 1st amongst qualified players for On Base Percentage (.422) this season.
- The Pittsburgh Pirates ranks T6th in the league for triples this season (20).
- The Pittsburgh Pirates ranks 25th in the league for RBI's this season (449).
- The Atlanta Braves ranks 2nd in the league for batting average this season (.271).
- The Atlanta Braves ranks 2nd in the league for on-base percentage this season (.341).
The Pirates were one inning away from taking the first two games in this series and sending the Braves to their fourth straight loss, but they collapsed in the ninth inning on Tuesday. Even though Atlanta got the win, they have had some major concerns with their pitching staff in their last four games. The Braves will try to turn that around with Max Fried, who allowed no runs over six innings against the Cubs in his first start since early May. Pittsburgh is starting Quinn Priester, who has allowed 3, 5, 4, and 7 earned runs over his last four starts. I think the Braves are going to continue to hit the ball well, while Fried will have another strong outing. Take the Braves -1.5 in this game.