Detroit Tigers (49-63) vs Minnesota Twins (60-54)
Game Info: Tuesday, August 8, 2023 at 6:40 pm (Comerica Park)
Eduardo Rodriguez (7-5) (2.96) vs Sonny Gray (5-4) (3.18)
Betting Odds: Detroit Tigers -105 / Minnesota Twins -115 --- Over/Under: 8 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: MLB.tv Stream the MLB Game of the Day all season on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Minnesota Twins will play the Detroit Tigers in Game 2 of their series on Tuesday night at Comerica Park in Detroit, Michigan. The Twins won the first game in this series by a score of 9-3 on Monday night. Minnesota jumped out to a quick lead in Game 1 and the Detroit offense couldn’t get much going on the night.
The Minnesota Twins are 60-54 this season and they have won five games in a row. Prior to winning the first game in this series, Minnesota won all three of their games at home against Arizona. Minnesota dominated the series against the Diamondbacks, out scoring them by a total of 20-6 in three games. The Minnesota pitching staff has a 3.83 ERA, a 1.18 WHIP, and a .233 opponent batting average. The Twins offense has scored 510 runs with a .239 batting average and a .316 on base percentage this year. Carlos Correa is batting .224 with 13 home runs and 52 RBI’s for the Twins. The projected starting pitcher for Minnesota is Sonny Gray, who is 5-4 with a 3.18 ERA and a 1.24 WHIP over 124.1 innings pitched this year.
The Detroit Tigers are 49-63 this season and they have lost nine of their last twelve games. Detroit came into this series after losing two out of three games at home against the Rays. The Tigers have really fallen off over the last few weeks and they have lost or split five series in a row. The Detroit pitching staff has a 4.54 ERA, a 1.27 WHIP, and a .248 opponent batting average. The Tigers offense has scored 437 runs with a .232 batting average and a .298 on base percentage this season. Spencer Torkelson is batting .225 with 15 home runs and 59 RBI’s for the Tigers. The projected starting pitcher for Detroit is Eduardo Rodriguez, who is 7-5 with a 2.96 ERA and a 1.05 WHIP over 94.1 innings pitched this season.
Detroit Tigers Team Facts
- The Tigers have lost each of their last nine Tuesday night games.
- The Tigers have failed to cover the run line in each of their last six night games against American League opponents.
- The Tigers have trailed after 7 innings in each of their last seven home night games.
- The 'Inning 1 OVER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Tigers' last three night games against American League opponents.
- The Tigers have lost the first inning in each of their last three night games against American League opponents.
Minnesota Twins Team Facts
- The Twins have lost five of their last six games as favourites against American League opponents.
- The Twins have failed to cover the run line in eight of their last nine games as favourites against American League opponents.
- The Twins have trailed after 5 innings in four of their last six games as road favourites against AL Central opponents.
- The Twins have trailed after 3 innings in five of their last six games as road favourites against AL Central opponents.
- The Twins have trailed after 7 innings in four of their last five games as favourites against AL Central opponents.
Minnesota Twins Player Prop Facts
- Sonny Gray ranks 6th amongst qualified players for Earned Run Average (3.18) this season.
- The Detroit Tigers ranks 29th in the league for runs scored this season (437).
- The Detroit Tigers ranks 28th in the league for home runs this season (103).
- The Minnesota Twins ranks 2nd in the league for runs allowed this season (457).
- The Minnesota Twins ranks 3rd in the league for walks allowed this season (310).
The Tigers limp into this game after allowing at least eight runs in three of their last four games, while Minnesota is playing some of their best baseball of the year. The Twins are starting to run away with the AL Central, as they are the only team above .500 in the division. Minnesota is starting Sonny Gray, who has allowed three earned runs or fewer in three straight outings. Detroit is starting Eduardo Rodriguez, who they failed to trade at the deadline last week. Rodriguez has allowed two earned runs in three of his last four starts. E-Rod is definitely the Tigers best starting pitcher and they are 3-1 in his last four starts. I like Detroit at home here.