New York Yankees (58-53) vs Houston Astros (63-49)
Game Info: Sunday, August 6, 2023 at 1:35 pm (Yankee Stadium)
Carlos Rodon (1-4) (6.29) vs Jose Urquidy (2-2) (5.20)
Betting Odds: New York Yankees -118 / Houston Astros -102 --- Over/Under: 9 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: MLB.tv Stream the MLB Game of the Day all season on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Houston Astros will play the New York Yankees in Game 4 of their series on Sunday afternoon at Yankee Stadium in New York. New York has won two out of the first three games in this series by scores of 4-3 and 3-1. Houston did win Game 2 by a score of 7-3 on Friday night. The Astros continue to trail the Rangers in the AL West and can’t afford to lose a series to team like the Yankees.
The Houston Astros are 63-49 this season and they have won four of their last six games. Prior to this series, Houston won all three games in their series with the Guardians. Houston has had terrific pitching this season and now that their lineup is getting healthy, they are going to be a force to deal with. The Houston pitching staff has a 3.76 ERA, a 1.27 WHIP, and a .242 opponent batting average this year. The Astros offense has scored 529 runs with a .249 batting average and a .320 on base percentage. Alex Bregman is batting .247 with 18 home runs and 70 RBI’s for the Astros. The projected starting pitcher for Houston is Jose Urquidy, who is 2-2 with a 5.20 ERA and a 1.55 WHIP over 27.2 innings pitched this season.
The New York Yankees are 58-53 this season and they have won three of their last four games. New York has struggled to get consistent hitting this year, but their pitching staff has been able to keep them in games. New York has scored three runs or fewer in five of their last seven games. The New York pitching staff has a 3.90 ERA, a 1.24 WHIP, and a .231 opponent batting average. The Yankees offense has scored 477 runs with a .231 batting average and a .303 on base percentage this season. DJ LeMahieu is batting .236 with eight home runs and 29 RBI’s for the Yankees. The projected starting pitcher for New York is Carlos Rodon, who is 1-4 with a 6.29 ERA and a 1.48 WHIP over 24.1 innings pitched this year.
New York Yankees Team Facts
- The underdogs have won four of the last five games between the Astros and Yankees at Yankee Stadium.
- The Yankees have covered the run line each of their last eight day games against teams that held a winning record.
- The Yankees have trailed after 5 innings in each of their last three games as favourites against AL West opponents.
- The Yankees have lost the first inning in four of their last six games as favourites against AL West opponents.
- The Yankees have trailed after 3 innings in five of their last six games as favourites against AL West opponents.
Houston Astros Team Facts
- The Astros have won each of their last seven games following a road loss.
- The Astros have covered the run line in each of their last 10 games as underdogs following a loss.
- The Astros have led after 5 innings in 11 of their last 15 games as underdogs against AL East opponents.
- The Astros have led after 7 innings in 15 of their last 19 games as underdogs against AL East opponents.
New York Yankees Player Prop Facts
- Carlos Rodon has recorded eight or more strikeouts in each of his last three appearances with his team as a home favourite against AL West opponents.
- Giancarlo Stanton has recorded at least one hit in each of his last 10 appearances in day games against teams that held a winning record.
- Billy McKinney has scored at least one run in each of his last four appearances with the Yankees as home favourites.
- Giancarlo Stanton has hit a home run in three of the Yankees' last four games against opponents that held a winning record.
- Giancarlo Stanton has recorded at least one RBI in five of his last six appearances with the Yankees as home favourites against AL West opponents.
- Giancarlo Stanton has recorded three or more total bases in each of the Yankees' last four games against AL West opponents.
Houston Astros Player Prop Facts
- Jose Altuve has recorded at least one hit in each of his last eight appearances.
- Jose Altuve has recorded two or more total bases in each of his last five road appearances against the Yankees after playing the previous day.
- Jose Altuve has scored at least one run in 11 of his last 12 appearances after playing the previous day.
- Jose Altuve has hit a home run in three of his last five appearances with the Astros as road underdogs.
- Jose Abreu has recorded at least one RBI in each of the Astros' last three games as underdogs against AL opponents.
- The New York Yankees ranks 2nd in the league for hits allowed this season (860).
- The New York Yankees ranks 29th in the league for hits this season (839).
- The Houston Astros ranks 6th in the league for strikeouts against this season (881).
- The Houston Astros ranks T25th in the league for triples this season (9).
The Yankees come into this game looking for the series win, while Houston is trying to salvage a series split. We have an interesting pitching matchup in this game, as both pitchers have dealt with injuries this year and have only pitched in a few games. Houston is starting Jose Urquidy, who has been out since Arpil 30th, but did struggle to begin the season. New York is starting Carlos Rodon, who has allowed 11 earned runs in his last three starts (14 IP). It is tough to tell how Urquidy will pitch in this game, but it does help that he is facing an offense like the Yankees. Rodon has struggled in his last few starts for the Yankees, but they do have one of the best bullpens in baseball. This game is a toss up, but I lean with the Yankees here.