Giants vs Athletics - Prediction - MLB Picks 8/5/23
Oakland Athletics (30-80) vs San Francisco Giants (61-49)
Game Info: Saturday, August 5, 2023 at 7:07 pm (Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum)
Paul Blackburn (2-2) (4.83) vs Ross Stripling (0-4) (5.52)
Betting Odds: Oakland Athletics +150 / San Francisco Giants -192 --- Over/Under: 7.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
The San Francisco Giants will cross the Bay Bridge to face the Oakland Athletics in interleague play this Saturday from the Oakland Coliseum.
Giants Preview & Projected Starter
San Francisco comes in at 61-49 after sweeping Arizona. The Giants created some space in the standings by taking three from the DBacks, and they’ll look to keep applying pressure to the Dodgers here. The San Francisco offense is scoring 4.81 runs per game, while batting .250, with a .326 on-base percentage. The pitching staff carries a 3.89 ERA, with a 1.29 WHIP.
Ross Stripling (0-4, 5.52 ERA, 48 Ks) will start for San Francisco. The eighth-year pitcher avoided a third straight loss last week against Boston, holding them to one run over 4.1 innings. Stripling has found a niche as a spot starter in the Bay, as he’s allowed three runs or less in eighth straight appearances, and he’ll look to capitalize on the light matchup in Oakland this weekend.
Giants Player Trends & Props
• Mike Conforto has collected a hit in six of the last seven games, and he leads the Giants in RBI (52), with thirteen homers.
• J.D Davis plated a pair of runs in the game two win, and he leads SFG in hits (88) and home runs (14), with 54 RBI.
• Wilmer Flores has multiple hits in three of the last four games, and he’s posting team-leading splits of .305/14/35.
• Joc Peterson has recorded a hit in six of his previous ten games, and he’s tallied 37 RBI for the season.
Athletics Preview & Projected Starter
Oakland moved to 30-80 after being swept by Los Angeles. The Athletics were no match for the Dodgers this week, and they’ll look to show more fight against their Bay Area foes. The Oakland offense is scoring 2.81 runs per game, while batting .222, with a .303 on-base percentage. The pitching staff carries a 6.00 ERA, with a 1.62 WHIP.
Paul Blackburn (2-2, 4.83 ERA, 56 Ks) will make the start for Oakland. The longtime A’s pitcher put together a good outing at Coors last week, striking out seven over six innings of work, while holding the Rockies to two runs en route to his second victory. Blackburn’s name was floated at the trade deadline, but he ended up remaining in Oakland, and he’ll look to deliver another strong outing here at home.
Athletics Player Trends & Facts
• Brent Rooker has recorded a hit in five of the last seven games, and he leads Oakland in home runs (18) and RBI (48).
• Shea Langeliers homered in the game two loss to LAD, and he’s up to eleven homers and 36 RBI.
• Seth Brown had multiple hits in that same contest, and he’s posted splits of .209/10/30.
• Leading hitter Esteury Ruiz and slugger Ryan Noda remain out of the lineup.
Corey’s Free Pick
San Francisco’s on a surge right now, and after creating space with a sweep of Arizona, I believe they keep things going at the Coliseum this weekend. Paul Blackburn won’t be an easy out, but the Giants have got something good going right now, and they’re trustworthy facing a lowly Athletics team. Back San Francisco for this battle in the Bay.