Rockies vs Cardinals Prediction - MLB Picks 8/4/23
St. Louis Cardinals (48-62) vs Colorado Rockies (42-66)
Game Info: Friday, August 4, 2023 at 8:15 pm (Busch Stadium)
Adam Wainwright (3-5) (7.18) vs Chris Flexen (0-5) (8.08)
Betting Odds: St. Louis Cardinals -175 / Colorado Rockies +145 --- Over/Under: 9.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: MLB.tv Stream the MLB Game of the Day all season on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Colorado Rockies will play the St. Louis Cardinals in Game 1 of their series on Friday night at Busch Stadium in St. Louis, Missouri. The Rockies come into this series with one of the worst records in baseball, while St. Louis has been one of the most disappointing teams in the MLB this year.
The Colorado Rockies are 42-66 this season and they have lost six of their last eight games. Colorado is coming off of a series loss to the Padres, where they lost two out of three games and were outscored 22-9 in the series. The Rockies also lost two out of three games to the Athletics and the Nationals in the two series prior to San Diego. The Colorado pitching staff has a 5.53 ERA, a 1.52 WHIP, and a .280 opponent batting average this year. The Rockies offense has scored 467 runs with a .252 batting average and a .313 on base percentage. Ryan McMahon is batting .263 with 18 home runs and 56 RBI’s for the Rockies. The projected starting pitcher for Colorado is Chris Flexen, who is 0-5 with an 8.08 ERA and a 1.93 WHIP over 45.2 innings pitched this season.
The St. Louis Cardinals are 48-62 this season and they have lost five of their last seven games. St. Louis is coming off of a series loss to the Twins, where they lost two out of three games. The Cardinals are last in the NL Central and decided to sell some pieces at the trade deadline, signaling the white flag being waved on a very disappointing season. The St. Louis pitching staff has a 4.54 ERA, a 1.44 WHIP, and a .272 opponent batting average. The Cardinals offense has scored 515 runs with a .256 batting average and a .330 on base percentage this season. Paul Goldschmidt is batting .275 with 18 home runs and 56 RBI’s for the Cardinals. The projected starting pitcher for St. Louis is Adam Wainwright, who is 3-5 with a 7.18 ERA and a 1.90 WHIP over 62.2 innings pitched this year.
St. Louis Cardinals Team Facts
- The Cardinals have won 18 of their last 19 home games against the Rockies.
- The Cardinals have failed to cover the run line in each of their last four games as favourites against NL West opponents.
- The 'Inning 1 OVER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Cardinals' last five games as home favourites.
- The Cardinals have won the first inning in each of their last three home games against National League opponents.
- The Cardinals have trailed after 7 innings in three of their last four games as home favourites against National League opponents.
Colorado Rockies Team Facts
- The Rockies have lost 18 of their last 19 games at Busch Stadium.
- The Rockies have covered the run line in each of their last seven games as road underdogs.
- The Rockies have led after 7 innings in four of their last six games as underdogs against National League opponents.
- The Rockies have led after 5 innings in each of their last four games as road underdogs against National League opponents.
- The Rockies have led after 3 innings in each of their last four Friday games as underdogs.
- The St. Louis Cardinals ranks 29th in the league for hits allowed this season (1032).
- The St. Louis Cardinals ranks 28th in the league for opponent batting average this season (.272).
- The Colorado Rockies ranks 30th in the league for opponent batting average this season (.280).
- The Colorado Rockies ranks 30th in the league for hits allowed this season (1035).
Despite the Cardinals having a very disappointing season, they still come into this game as pretty heavy favorites to get the win. Colorado is only 17-36 on the road this year and they have one of the worst team ERA’s in the MLB. Colorado is starting Chris Flexen, who allowed five earned runs over 3.2 innings pitched in his first start for the Rockies. St. Louis is starting Adam Wainwright, who has allowed 4, 2, 4, 6, and 7 earned runs over his last five starts. I think we are going to see plenty of runs scored here and I like the over.