Kansas City Royals (34-75) vs New York Mets (50-57)
Game Info: Thursday, August 3, 2023 at 2:10 pm (Ewing M. Kauffman Stadium)
Brady Singer (6-8) (5.46) vs Carlos Carrasco (3-5) (6.40)
Betting Odds: Kansas City Royals -118 / New York Mets -102 --- Over/Under: 9 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: MLB.tv Stream the MLB Game of the Day all season on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The New York Mets will play the Kansas City Royals in Game 3 of their series on Thursday afternoon at Kauffman Stadium in Kansas City, Missouri. The Royals have won the first two games in this series by scores of 7-6 and 4-0. New York decided to sell at the trade deadline and they have not looked very good against one of the worst teams in the MLB.
The New York Mets are 50-57 this season and they have lost three of their last four games. Prior to losing the first two games in this series, New York won three out of four games at home against the Nationals. The Mets came into this season with very high expectations, but they couldn’t seem to put it all together. The New York pitching staff has a 4.31 ERA, a 1.35 WHIP, and a .247 opponent batting average this season. The Mets offense has scored 472 runs with a .239 batting average and a .319 on base percentage. Pete Alonso is batting .218 with 31 home runs and 77 RBI’s for the Mets. The projected starting pitcher for New York is Carlos Carrasco, who is 3-5 with a 6.40 ERA and a 1.65 WHIP over 70.1 innings pitched this year.
The Kansas City Royals are 34-75 this season and they have won five games in a row. Kansas City came into this series with some momentum after they swept the Twins in their last series. The Royals don’t have a good record, but they have shown the ability to frustrate teams and and have some offensive outbursts this year. The Kansas City pitching staff has a 5.17 ERA, a 1.42 WHIP, and a .263 opponent batting average. The Royals offense has scored 414 runs with a .237 batting average and a .296 on base percentage this year. Bobby Witt is batting .264 with 18 home runs and 62 RBI’s for the Royals. The projected starting pitcher for Kansas City is Brady Singer, who is 6-8 with a 5.46 ERA and a 1.46 WHIP over 113.2 innings pitched this season.
Kansas City Royals Team Facts
- The underdogs have won each of the Royals' last five games at Kauffman Stadium.
- The Royals have covered the run line in each of their last seven home games following a home win.
- The Royals have led after 7 innings in each of their last five games.
New York Mets Team Facts
- The Mets have lost each of their last nine games as road underdogs following a road loss.
- The Mets have failed to cover the run line in each of their last nine games as underdogs following a road loss.
- The Mets have led after 7 innings in four of their last six games as road underdogs against AL Central opponents.
- The 'Inning 1 OVER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Mets' last three day games against American League opponents.
- The Mets have trailed after 3 innings in each of their last three road day games.
Kansas City Royals Player Prop Facts
- Salvador Perez has hit at least one home run in six of his last 15 appearances in day games against NL teams that held a losing record.
- Bobby Witt Jr. has recorded two or more total bases in each of the Royals' last four home games against NL opponents that held a losing record.
- Brady Singer has recorded six or more strikeouts in each of his four previous home appearances against NL opponents that held a losing record.
- MJ Melendez has scored at least one run in four of the Royals' last five games against NL East opponents at Kauffman Stadium.
- Bobby Witt Jr. has recorded at least one RBI in each of the Royals' last seven home games against NL opponents.
- MJ Melendez has recorded at least one hit in each of his last seven appearances in day games against teams that held a losing record.
New York Mets Player Prop Facts
- Pete Alonso has recorded two RBIs in three of the Mets' last four games against the Royals at Kauffman Stadium.
- Francisco Lindor has recorded two hits in three of his last four appearances with his team as an underdog against the Royals.
- Carlos Carrasco has recorded four or more strikeouts in 15 of his last 16 Thursday appearances.
- Pete Alonso has hit a home run in two of the Mets' last three games against the Royals.
- Francisco Lindor has recorded two or more total bases in each of his last three appearances with his team as an underdog against AL Central opponents.
- Francisco Lindor has scored at least one run in eight of his last 10 road appearances against the Royals.
- The Kansas City Royals ranks 29th in the league for on-base percentage this season (.296).
- The Kansas City Royals ranks 29th in the league for walks this season (269).
- The New York Mets ranks 26th in the league for hits this season (844).
- The New York Mets ranks 24th in the league for walks allowed this season (390).
The Royals will go for the series sweep in this matchup, which is something they haven’t been able to do very often this year. The pitching matchup in this game leaves a lot to be desired, as both pitchers have terrible ERA’s. Kansas City is starting Brady Singer, who has allowed 2, 2, 4, and 6 earned runs in his last four starts. New York is starting Carlos Carrasco, who has allowed 6, 5, and 4 earned runs in his last three starts. Carrasco has been awful lately and I cannot take the Mets with him on the mound. Give me the Royals here.