Athletics vs Dodgers Prediction - MLB Picks 8/3/23
Los Angeles Dodgers (61-45) vs Oakland Athletics (30-79)
Game Info: Thursday, August 3, 2023 at 10:10 pm (Dodger Stadium)
Julio Urias (7-6) (4.98) vs JP Sears (2-7) (4.09)
Betting Odds: Los Angeles Dodgers -278 / Oakland Athletics +225 --- Over/Under: 8.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: MLB.tv Stream the MLB Game of the Day all season on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Oakland Athletics will play the Los Angeles Dodgers in Game 3 of their series on Thursday night at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles, California. The Dodgers have won the first two games in this series by scores of 7-3 and 10-1. Oakland has been terrible this season and they have scored three runs or fewer in six of their last eight games.
The Oakland Athletics are 30-79 this season and they have lost eight of their last eleven games. Prior to dropping the first two games in this series, Oakland won two out of three games against the Rockies and lost both games in their mini series with the Giants. The Oakland pitching staff has a 5.87 ERA, a 1.53 WHIP, and a .269 opponent batting average this year. The Athletics offense has scored 391 runs with a .223 batting average and a .302 on base percentage. Shea Langeliers is batting .203 with 11 home runs and 36 RBI’s for the Athletics. The projected starting pitcher for Oakland is JP Sears, who is 2-7 with a 4.09 ERA and a 1.05 WHIP over 116.2 innings pitched this season.
The Los Angeles Dodgers are 61-45 this season and they have won three out of their last four games. The Dodgers had struggled coming into this series, so playing Oakland was a very welcomed sight. LA had lost two series in a row to Cincinnati and Toronto at home prior to this series. The Los Angeles pitching staff has a 4.46 ERA, a 1.27 WHIP, and a .245 opponent batting average. The Dodgers offense has scored 595 runs with a .248 batting average and a .336 on base percentage this season. Freddie Freeman is batting .338 with 21 home runs and 75 RBI’s for the Dodgers. The projected starting pitcher for Los Angeles is Julio Urias, who is 7-6 with a 4.98 ERA and a 1.20 WHIP over 81.1 innings pitched this year.
Los Angeles Dodgers Team Facts
- The Dodgers have won 14 of their last 15 night games against AL West opponents.
- The Dodgers have covered the run line each of their last seven games against teams that held a losing record.
- The Dodgers have led after 7 innings in each of their last seven night games at Dodger Stadium against AL West opponents.
- The Dodgers have led after 5 innings in each of their last seven night games at Dodger Stadium against AL West opponents.
Oakland Athletics Team Facts
- The Athletics have lost each of their last 10 Thursday games.
- The Athletics have failed to cover the run line five of their last six games at Dodger Stadium against teams that held a winning record.
- The Athletics have trailed after 7 innings in each of their last five night games against National League opponents that held a winning record.
- The Athletics have trailed after 5 innings in each of their last five games at Dodger Stadium.
Los Angeles Dodgers Player Prop Facts
- Freddie Freeman has recorded two or more total bases in each of the Dodgers' last seven games as favourites against AL West opponents.
- Mookie Betts has hit at least one home run in each of the Dodgers' last five games as home favourites against AL West opponents.
- Freddie Freeman has scored at least one run in each of the Dodgers' last eight games as favourites against AL West opponents.
- Mookie Betts has recorded at least one RBI in each of the Dodgers' last five home games against AL West opponents.
- Mookie Betts has recorded at least one hit in each of his last nine appearances.
- Freddie Freeman ranks 3rd amongst qualified players for Slugging Percentage (.586) this season.
Oakland Athletics Player Prop Facts
- Brent Rooker has hit a home run in three of his last five road appearances against opponents that held a winning record.
- Aledmys Diaz has recorded at least one total base in seven of his last eight road appearances against the Dodgers.
- Brent Rooker has recorded at least one hit in seven of his last eight road appearances.
- The Los Angeles Dodgers ranks 3rd in the league for RBI's this season (575).
- The Los Angeles Dodgers ranks 3rd in the league for slugging percentage this season (.455).
- The Oakland Athletics ranks 30th in the league for batting average this season (.223).
- The Oakland Athletics ranks 30th in the league for slugging percentage this season (.360).
The Dodgers used the first two games to get back on track after losing two series in a row and they out scored Oakland by a total of 17-4 in the two wins. Oakland has had a really bad season, but they will have their best pitcher on the mound here. The Athletics will start JP Sears, who has allowed three earned runs or fewer in four of his last five starts. The Dodgers are starting Julio Urias, who has allowed 11 earned runs over his last 11 innings of work. It is tough to go against the Dodgers with their high scoring lineup, but I am going to take JP Sears and the Athletics to keep it close. Take Oakland +1.5 in this matchup.