St. Louis Cardinals (47-61) vs Minnesota Twins (55-53)
Game Info: Wednesday, August 2, 2023 at 7:45 pm (Busch Stadium)
Dakota Hudson (1-0) (4.19) vs Joe Ryan (9-7) (4.06)
Betting Odds: St. Louis Cardinals +110 / Minnesota Twins -125 --- Over/Under: 8.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: MLB.tv Stream the MLB Game of the Day all season on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Minnesota Twins will play the St. Louis Cardinals in Game 2 of their series on Wednesday night at Busch Stadium in St. Louis, Missouri. The Twins won the first game in this series by a score of 3-2 on Tuesday night and they are currently leading the AL Central. St. Louis decided to sell some pieces at the trade deadline, as they are in last place in the NL Central.
The Minnesota Twins are 55-53 this season and they have lost five of their last six games. Prior to winning the first game in this series, Minnesota lost all three of their games in Kansas City. The Twins snapped a five game losing streak on Tuesday, but they still have a lead in the division. The Minnesota pitching staff has a 3.86 ERA, a 1.18 WHIP, and a .233 opponent batting average this season. The Twins offense has scored 473 runs with a .237 batting average and a .314 on base percentage. Carlos Correa is batting .226 with 12 home runs and 45 RBI’s for the Twins. The projected starting pitcher for Minnesota is Joe Ryan, who is 9-7 with a 4.06 ERA and a 1.09 WHIP over 122.0 innings pitched this year.
The St. Louis Cardinals are 47-61 this season and they have lost four of their last five games. St. Louis came into this series after losing three out of four to the Cubs and they have struggled over the last couple of weeks, losing eight of their last eleven games. The St. Louis pitching staff has a 4.55 ERA, a 1.45 WHIP, and a .273 opponent batting average. The Cardinals offense has scored 505 runs with a .256 batting average and a .330 on base percentage this year. Paul Goldschmidt is batting .280 with 18 home runs and 56 RBI’s for the Cardinals. The projected starting pitcher for St. Louis is Dakota Hudson, who is 1-0 with a 4.19 ERA and a 1.60 WHIP over 19.1 innings pitched this season.
St. Louis Cardinals Team Facts
- The underdogs have won eight of the Cardinals' last 10 games.
- The Cardinals have covered the run line in each of their last nine games as underdogs after playing the previous day.
- The Cardinals have led after 5 innings in each of their last eight Wednesday night home games.
- The Cardinals have led after 7 innings in each of their last six Wednesday night games as home underdogs.
- The 'Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Cardinals' last five games as underdogs against AL Central opponents.
Minnesota Twins Team Facts
- The Twins have lost five of their last six games as favourites.
- The Twins have failed to cover the run line in each of their last nine games as favourites.
- The Twins have trailed after 7 innings in three of their last four games as road favourites.
- The 'Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Twins' last three games as favourites against National League opponents.
- The Twins have trailed after 3 innings in four of their last five games as road favourites.
- The St. Louis Cardinals ranks T28th in the league for triples this season (8).
- The St. Louis Cardinals ranks 28th in the league for opponent batting average this season (.273).
- The Minnesota Twins ranks 3rd in the league for opponent batting average this season (.233).
- The Minnesota Twins ranks T3rd in the league for hits allowed this season (844).
Minnesota was able to pick up a huge win on Tuesday night in Game 1 and even though they lost five games in a row, they are still in first place in the AL Central. St. Louis has been one of the most disappointing teams in the MLB this year and they have not been very good at home. The Twins are starting Joe Ryan, who has allowed 4, 4, 3, and 5 earned runs in his last four starts. St. Louis is starting Dakota Hudson, who has allowed seven earned runs over his last 9.1 innings of work. I like the over in this game with two pitchers that have had some struggles recently.