Pittsburgh Pirates (48-58) vs Detroit Tigers (47-60)
Game Info: Wednesday, August 2, 2023 at 12:35 pm (PNC Park)
Osvaldo Bido (2-1) (4.50) vs Eduardo Rodriguez (6-5) (2.95)
Betting Odds: Pittsburgh Pirates +102 / Detroit Tigers -122 --- Over/Under: 8.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: MLB.tv Stream the MLB Game of the Day all season on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Detroit Tigers will play the Pittsburgh Pirates in Game 2 of their series on Wednesday afternoon at PNC Park in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Pittsburgh won Game 1 in this series by a score of 4-1 on Tuesday night. The Pirates were able to silence the Detroit bats for most of the night and they have played pretty well over their last five games.
The Detroit Tigers are 47-60 this season and they have lost six of their last seven games. Prior to losing the first game in this series, Detroit lost two out of three games in their series with the Marlins. The Tigers traded away Michael Lorenzen on Tuesday, but they did hang onto Eduardo Rodriguez. The Detroit pitching staff has a 4.49 ERA, a 1.25 WHIP, and a .246 opponent batting average this season. The Tigers offense has scored 418 runs with a .232 batting average and a .299 on base percentage. Javier Baez is batting .225 with seven home runs and 48 RBI’s for the Tigers. The projected starting pitcher for Detroit is Eduardo Rodriguez, who is 6-5 with a 2.95 ERA and a 1.03 WHIP over 88.1 innings pitched this season.
The Pittsburgh Pirates are 48-58 this season and they have won four of their last five games. Pittsburgh controlled Game 1 in this series easily and they won two out of three games against the Phillies in their previous series. Pittsburgh has scored 17 runs in their last three games, which is a big improvement over the last two months. The Pittsburgh pitching staff has a 4.47 ERA, a 1.38 WHIP, and a .251 opponent batting average. The Pirates offense has scored 439 runs with a .236 batting average and a .312 on base percentage this year. Jack Suwinski is batting .225 with 21 home runs and 52 RBI’s for the Pirates. The projected starting pitcher for Pittsburgh is Osvaldo Bido, who is 2-1 with a 4.50 ERA and a 1.53 WHIP over 30.0 innings pitched this year.
Pittsburgh Pirates Team Facts
- The Pirates have won four of their last five games as underdogs after playing the previous day.
- The Pirates have failed to cover the run line in 10 of their last 11 home games against American League opponents following a home win.
- The Pirates have led after 7 innings in each of their last four day games against AL Central opponents.
- The 'Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Pirates' last six games.
- The Pirates have trailed after 5 innings in each of their last six day games against American League opponents.
Detroit Tigers Team Facts
- The underdogs have won three of the Tigers' last four games at PNC Park.
- The Tigers have covered the run line in eight of their last nine road games against NL Central opponents following a loss.
- The Tigers have trailed after 5 innings in three of their last four games as road favourites.
- The 'Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Tigers' last three games.
- The Tigers have trailed after 3 innings in three of their last four games as road favourites against NL Central opponents.
Pittsburgh Pirates Player Prop Facts
- Bryan Reynolds has recorded at least one RBI in three of the Pirates' last four games as home underdogs against AL Central opponents.
- Jack Suwinski has recorded two or more total bases in four of his last five home appearances after playing the previous day.
- Bryan Reynolds has hit a home run in four of his last nine appearances in day games.
- Bryan Reynolds has scored a run in each of the Pirates' last four games as underdogs.
- Andrew McCutchen has recorded at least one hit in each of his last 12 home appearances against AL Central opponents that held a losing record.
Detroit Tigers Player Prop Facts
- Spencer Torkelson has recorded at least one RBI in four of the Tigers' last five games as favourites.
- Andy Ibanez has recorded two or more total bases in seven of his last eight appearances in day games.
- Zach McKinstry has hit a home run in three of his last four appearances with his team as a road favourite against NL opponents.
- Javier Baez has scored at least one run in each of the Tigers' last five games.
- Eduardo Rodriguez has recorded six or more strikeouts in each of his last five road appearances.
- Riley Greene has recorded at least one hit in each of the Tigers' last eight games against NL opponents.
- The Pittsburgh Pirates ranks 25th in the league for home runs this season (101).
- The Pittsburgh Pirates ranks T25th in the league for RBI's this season (418).
- The Detroit Tigers ranks 28th in the league for RBI's this season (405).
- The Detroit Tigers ranks 28th in the league for batting average this season (.232).
The Tigers weren’t able to make as many trades as they had hoped for on Tuesday after Eduardo Rodriguez blocked a potential trade to the Dodgers late in the afternoon. The Tigers have really fallen off of the pace in the AL Central and they are looking towards next year. Detroit is starting Eduardo Rodriguez in this game, who has allowed two earned runs or fewer in three of his last five starts. Pittsburgh is starting Osvaldo Bido, who has allowed five earned runs in his last 11 innings pitched. It will be interesting to see how Rodriguez is able to pitch in this game after all of the distractions on Tuesday, but I am still going to side with the Tigers here.