Colorado Rockies (42-64) vs San Diego Padres (52-55)
Game Info: Wednesday, August 2, 2023 at 3:10 pm (Coors Field)
Kyle Freeland (4-11) (4.79) vs Joe Musgrove (10-3) (3.05)
Betting Odds: Colorado Rockies +165 / San Diego Padres -222 --- Over/Under: 13 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: Bally Sports San Diego Stream the MLB Game of the Day all season on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The San Diego Padres and Colorado Rockies face off on Wednesday in an MLB showdown at Coors Field. On Tuesday it was the Padres that were able to secure the 8-5 victory.
Musgrove Continues to Shine
Joe Musgrove isn’t talked about as much as he was in years past, but he’s still been dominant. Musgrove comes into this game with a 10-3 record and an ERA of 3.05. In his last start against the Texas Rangers he went six innings giving up four hits and zero runs. The Rangers have the top offense in baseball, so shutting him out is quite impressive. Over Musgrove’s last three starts he has given up only four runs total. The Padres are averaging 4.52 runs while their pitching is giving up 3.94 runs per game. The offense is ranked 14th in the league while the pitching is ranked 2nd.
Padres Betting Trends
- The Padres have lost four of their last five games as road favourites against National League opponents following a win.
- The Padres have failed to cover the run line in seven of their last eight road games against National League opponents following a road win.
- The 'Inning 1 OVER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Padres' last three day games against NL West opponents.
Rockies Need Better Pitching
The Rockies pitching has been awful this season, and they need to have better pitching here. Kyle Freeland is going to get the start here and he sits with a 4-11 record and an ERA of 4.79. The Rockies have lost the last three games started by Freeland. In his last start against the Oakland Athletics he went four innings giving up nine hits and five runs. Freeland at one point looked like one of the best young pitchers in baseball, but he has been nothing but a problem this year. The Rockies are averaging 4.35 runs while their pitching is giving up 5.74 runs per game. The offense is ranked 20th while the pitching is ranked 29th.
Rockies Betting Trends
- The Rockies have won each of their last five games as home underdogs following a home loss.
- The Rockies have covered the run line in each of their last seven games as underdogs following a loss.
- The 'Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Rockies' last four day games against National League opponents.
- The Rockies have led after 5 innings in five of their last six games as underdogs.
- The Rockies have led after 7 innings in four of their last five games as underdogs against National League opponents.
Padres and Rockies Facts
- The Colorado Rockies ranks 30th in the league for opponent batting average this season (.280).
- The Colorado Rockies ranks 29th in the league for ERA this season (5.48).
- The San Diego Padres ranks 1st in the league for runs allowed this season (427).
- The San Diego Padres are one of only 3 teams in the league to rank top 10 in both steals and home runs this season.
Shane’s Free Pick
Coors Field hasn’t done Freeland any help this season, and it’s not going to get any easier here. The Padres offense hasn’t been exactly elite this season, but Freeland has been so bad, they are going to have no issue running up the score against him here. Musgrove has given up only four runs total over his last three starts. Look for Musgrove to lockdown here, and that is going to be the difference as the Padres are going to get the job done. Back the Padres -1.5 to cash here.