Chicago Cubs (53-52) vs Cincinnati Reds (58-49)
Game Info: Tuesday, August 1, 2023 at 8:05 pm (Wrigley Field)
Justin Steele (11-3) (2.87) vs Ben Lively (4-6) (3.76)
Betting Odds: Chicago Cubs -135 / Cincinnati Reds +110 --- Over/Under: 8.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: Marquee Sports Network Stream the MLB Game of the Day all season on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Cincinnati Reds and Chicago Cubs face off on Tuesday in an MLB showdown at Wrigley Field. On Monday it was the Reds that were able to secure the 6-5 victory.
Lively Starts, Reds Lose
The Reds sit with a 59-49 record overall and the offense was the difference on Monday on the way to the victory. On the mound for the Reds will Ben Lively and the Reds have struggled in his starts as of late. In three of Lively’s last four starts, the Reds have lost. All of those losses also came at the hand of the Milwaukee Brewers. The Reds are averaging 4.86 runs while their pitching is giving up 4.83 runs per game. The offense is ranked 9th while the pitching is ranked 23rd. Jake Fraley is having a strong season hitting 15 home runs and driving in 62 RBIs.
Reds Betting Trends
- The Reds have won each of their last four games as road underdogs against the Cubs.
- The Reds have covered the run line in 10 of their last 11 games.
- The Reds have led after 5 innings in three of their last four games as underdogs against National League opponents.
- The 'Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Reds' last three games as road underdogs against NL Central opponents.
- The Reds have led after 7 innings in three of their last four games as underdogs against National League opponents.
Cubs Starting to Struggle?
The Cubs are really starting to struggle and it seems to be happening at the wrong time. On Sunday the Cubs offense struggled and on Monday the pitching really let them down. The Cubs offense hasn’t been talked about enough but they are ranked 7th in baseball. The offense is averaging 4.89 runs while their pitching is giving up 4.35 runs per game. Christopher Morel has hit 16 home runs and driven in 48 RBIs. Justin Steele has been lights out this season sitting with an 11-3 record and an ERA of 2.87.
Cubs Betting Trends
- The Cubs have lost each of their last five games as favourites against the Reds following a home loss.
- The Cubs have failed to cover the run line in each of their last six games as favourites against NL Central opponents.
- The Cubs have trailed after 5 innings in seven of their last 10 games as home favourites against NL Central opponents.
- The Cubs have trailed after 3 innings in each of their last six games at Wrigley Field against National League opponents that held a winning record.
- The Cubs have trailed after 7 innings in three of their last four games as favourites against NL Central opponents.
Reds and Cubs Facts
- The Chicago Cubs ranks 5th in the league for on-base percentage this season (.332).
- The Chicago Cubs ranks 6th in the league for steals this season (88).
- The Cincinnati Reds ranks 28th in the league for walks allowed this season (403).
- The Cincinnati Reds ranks 4th in the league for walks this season (379).
Shane’s Free Pick
Steele sits with an ERA of 2.87 and he’s going to lockdown again in this game. When Lively has started, the Reds haven't been giving him a whole lot of run support, and that is going to continue here. The Reds offense is only going to score one or two runs total, and the Cubs are going to get the job done.