Seattle Mariners (54-51) vs Boston Red Sox (56-49)
Game Info: Monday, July 31, 2023 at 9:40 pm (T-Mobile Park)
George Kirby (9-8) (3.49) vs Nick Pivetta (7-5) (4.11)
Betting Odds: Seattle Mariners -125 / Boston Red Sox +115 --- Over/Under: 8 Click Here for the Latest Odds
The Boston Red Sox will head to the Pacific Northwest to start a three-game set with the Seattle Mariners this Monday night from T-Mobile Park.
Red Sox Preview & Projected Starter
Boston moved to 56-49 after dropping two of three to San Francisco. The Red Sox left the Bay with a pair of one-run losses, and they’ll look to avoid a third straight defeat to close the month. The Boston offense is 4.18 scoring runs per game, while batting .264, with a .331 on-base percentage. The pitching staff carries a 4.89 ERA, with a 1.34 WHIP.
Nick Pivetta (7-5, 4.11 ERA, 100 Ks) will take the bump for Boston. The seventh-year righty pitched well against Atlanta last week, striking out five over five scoreless frames to earn his seventh victory. Pivetta’s been pretty good this month, posting a 3-0 record, while allowing just two runs through four appearances. Pivetta even struck out a season-high 13 batters in Oakland in his return from the break, and it’s safe to say his bullpen stint paid off.
Red Sox Player Trends & Props
• Rafael Devers has recorded a hit in seven of the last ten games, and he’s first on the team in HR (25) and RBI (76).
• Justin Turner has produced multiple runs in three of the previous four games, and he’s posting splits of .287/17/70, while leading the Sox in hits (111).
• Jarren Duran has doubled in consecutive games, and he leads Boston in batting at .315.
• Masataka Yoshida has surprisingly gone hitless over his last four games, but he still has nice totals of 110 hits and 53 RBI, while batting .308.
Mariners Preview & Projected Starter
Seattle enters at 54-51 after taking two of three from Arizona. The Mariners have closed this crucial month of July in great form, and they’ll look to move further from the .500 mark this week. avenged last week’s series loss to the Twins, and they’ll not attempt to close the road trip strong in Arizona. The Seattle offense is 3.87 scoring runs per game, while batting .234, with a .313 on-base percentageThe pitching staff carries a 3.55 ERA, with a 1.19 WHIP.
George Kirby (9-8, 3.49 ERA, 112 Ks) will start for Seattle. The second-year pitcher couldn’t replicate his first performance against Minnesota last time out, allowing five runs in four innings, but run support prevented him from taking the loss. Kirby’s been shaky in two of three outings since making his first All-Star appearance, but he’ll now return to Seattle, where he’s allowed two runs or less in four of his last five starts, with three of those being scoreless games.
Mariners Player Trends & Props
• Julio Rodriguez brings an eight-game hit streak into this series, and he leads Seattle in home runs (17), with 55 RBI.
• Eugenio Suarez has plated runs in five straight games, and he leads the Mariners in RBI (64), with fourteen homers.
• Teoscar Hernandez has produced a run in five of the last ten games, and he’s totaled 16 home runs and 58 RBI for the season.
• J.P. Crawford has collected a hit in eight of the previous ten games, and he leads the team in batting at .265.
Corey’s Free Pick
The Mariners are coming alive at the right time, but they will face a stiff test with the offensive-minded Red Sox coming to town this week. This should be a back-and-forth series, and the pitcher matchup puts the total in a compromising position. Both starters have been solid in their roles this season, but both lineups contain the power and depth to dictate the game themselves. Boston may be worth a look on a profitable shot, but I like testing the total and backing the Over here in game one.