Guardians vs White Sox Prediction - MLB Picks 7/30/23
Chicago White Sox (43-63) vs Cleveland Guardians (52-53)
Game Info: Sunday, July 30, 2023 at 2:10 pm (Guaranteed Rate Field)
Michael Kopech (4-9) (4.44) vs Aaron Civale (4-2) (2.54)
Betting Odds: Chicago White Sox +130 / Cleveland Guardians -154 --- Over/Under: 9 Click Here for the Latest Odds
The Chicago White Sox will host the Cleveland Guardians for their divisional series finale this Sunday from Guaranteed Rate Field. Chicago used consistent production to take game three by five, 7-2.
Guardians Preview & Projected Starter
Cleveland moved to 52-53 after falling to Chicago. The Guardians couldn’t keep up with the Sox Saturday, and they’ll look to avoid another divisional loss here. Terry Francona’s team sits at second in the AL Central, just two games back of Minnesota. The Cleveland offense is scoring 3.98 runs per game, while batting .253, with a .316 on-base percentage. The pitching staff carries a 3.83 ERA, with a 1.26 WHIP.
Aaron Civale (4-2, 2.54 ERA, 54 Ks) will get the call for Cleveland. The fifth-year righty tormented Kansas City for the second time this month last time out, holding them to just one run over eight innings of work. Civale has brought stability and consistency to the mound since returning at the top of June, as he’s allowed two runs or less in nine of his last ten starts. This will mark Civale’s first time facing the Sox this season, but it won’t mark his first trip to Chicago, as he tossed six innings of one-run ball at Wrigley against the Cubs to open July.
Guardians Player Trends & Props
• Jose Ramirez collected multiple hits in the game three loss, and he leads Cleveland in hits (116) and home runs (16), while batting .288 and totaling 60 RBI.
• Josh Naylor has six hits through three matchups with Chicago, and he’s posting team-leads in batting (.309) and RBI (79), with fifteen homers.
• Steven Kwan racked up three hits in Saturday’s contest, and he’s tied with JRam for the team-lead in hits (116), while batting .276
• The loss of Amed Rosario to the Dodgers has noticeably weakened the lineup.
White Sox Preview & Projected Starter
Chicago enters at 42-63 after defeating Cleveland. The White Sox won consecutive games for the second time this month, and they’ll now attempt to win this first divisional series since the start of June. Pedro Grifol‘s team sits at the bottom of the AL Central, as they’ve failed to reach expectations this season. The Chicago offense is 4.72 scoring runs per game, while batting .235, with a .292 on-base percentage. The pitching staff carries a 5.72 ERA, with a 1.21 WHIP.
Michael Kopech (4-9, 4.44 ERA, 107 Ks) will take the mound for Chicago. The fourth-year righty struggled in his Windy City Showdown spot last week against the Cubs, allowing five runs through five innings to take his ninth loss of the season. Kopech hasn’t been able to play around the dysfunction in the Southside this year, and he’s dropped four of his last five starts. Now, Kopech did manage to toss one of his best outing of the season (7 IP, 0 ER, 9 K) versus Cleveland back in May, but he’s pitched poorly since.
White Sox Player Trends & Props
• Luis Robert has plated runs in both wins over Cleveland, and he leads Chicago in hits (106), home runs (29), and RBI (60).
• Andrew Vaughn homered in the game three victory, and he’s up to thirteen home runs and 58 RBI for the season.
• Eloy Jiménez brings a nine-game hit streak into the series finale, and he’s tallied an identical thirteen homers and 48 RBI, while leading the Sox in batting (.285).
• Jake Burger has homered in three of the previous four games, and he’s totaled 25 on the season, with 52 RBI.
Corey’s Free Pick
Chicago winning a third straight game would feel good as a fan, as they’ve endured a lot of pain and struggling this season, but I don’t recommend looking away from Aaron Civale here. The Guardians starter has been nothing short of reliable this year, while the Sox have done little other than disappoint here in 2023. Let’s trust the arm of Civale here, and back Cleveland for game four.