Athletics vs Rockies Prediction - MLB Picks 7/28/23
Colorado Rockies (40-62) vs Oakland Athletics (28-76)
Game Info: Friday, July 28, 2023 at 8:40 pm (Coors Field)
Kyle Freeland (4-10) (4.72) vs JP Sears (1-7) (4.11)
Betting Odds: Colorado Rockies -120 / Oakland Athletics +110 --- Over/Under: 11 Click Here for the Latest Odds
The Oakland Athletics will head to Denver to start an interleague series with the Colorado Rockies this Friday from Coors Field.
Athletics Betting Preview
Oakland moved to 28-76 after dropping two of three to San Francisco. The Athletics failed to show up in the battle of the Bay, and they’ll now attempt to steal a few in the Rockys this weekend. The Oakland offense is scoring 2.81 runs per game, while batting .222, with a .303 on-base percentage. The pitching staff carries a 6.00 ERA, with a 1.62 WHIP. Brent Rooker returned in the second loss to San Fran, and he leads Oakland in home runs (16) and RBI (44). Seth Brown has recorded a hit in three of the last five games, and he’s up to ten home runs and 29 RBI for the season.
JP Sears (1-7, 4.19 ERA, 101 Ks) will get the call for Oakland. The second-year lefty was roughed up in divisional action versus Houston last week, allowing five runs in 5.2 innings pitched. Sears was overmatched by the Astros at home, and that’s not a good sign heading into his first start at Coors. Sears has managed to hold teams to two runs or less in seven straight road starts, and he’ll aim to get that going in the high altitude Friday.
Oakland Athletics Team Facts
- The Athletics have lost each of their last six road games.
- The Athletics have covered the run line each of their last seven night games against teams that held a losing record.
- The Athletics have led after 7 innings in each of their last four night games against NL West opponents that held a losing record.
- The Athletics have led after 3 innings in each of their last three night games against the Rockies.
- The Athletics have led after 5 innings in each of their last four night games against NL West opponents that held a losing record.
Rockies Betting Preview
Colorado moved to 40-62 after dropping two of three to Washington. The Rockies dropped the last two games in DC by just one run, and they look to avenge those here against Oakland. The Colorado offense is scoring 4.5 runs per game, while batting .256, with a .317 on-base percentage. The pitching staff carries a 4.70 ERA, with a 1.43 WHIP. Ryan McMahon homered in the series finale, and he leads Colorado in hits (93) and home runs (16), with 47 RBI. Elias Diaz plated three runs in the game two, and he leads the Rockies in RBI (48), with ten homers. Randal Grichuk has recorded a hit in ten of the last eleven games, and he leads the Rockies in batting at .307.
Kyle Freeland (4-10, 4.72 ERA, 63 Ks) will pitch for Colorado. The seventh-year lefty will make his first start in three weeks here against the A’s, and he’ll look to turn around a rough first half of the season. Freeland dropped his last two starts, and after being winless since early May, he’ll need to capitalize on the light matchup with Oakland.
Colorado Rockies Team Facts
- The Rockies have won each of their last seven night games following a loss.
- The Rockies have covered the run line in each of their last seven games following a loss.
- The 'Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Rockies' last five games.
- The Rockies have led after 5 innings in each of their last four games.
- The Rockies have led after 7 innings in each of their last four night games.
Corey’s Free Pick
Colorado comes into the most ideal series scenario there’s been this season, and that’s facing Oakland at home. The Rockies haven’t been the sharpest this season, but neither have the Athletics, and this should a game the hosts take care of. Hopefully, Freeland channels his early season, as he’s struggled since jumping out to a hot start this season. Back the Rockies for game one this Friday.