Detroit Tigers (46-55) vs Los Angeles Angels (52-49)
Game Info: Thursday, July 27, 2023 at 1:10 /4:40 pm (Comerica Park)
Michael Lorenzen (5-6) (3.49) vs Shohei Ohtani (8-5) (3.79)
Betting Odds: Detroit Tigers +100 / Los Angeles Angels -125 --- Over/Under: 9 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: Bally Sports Detroit Stream the MLB Game of the Day all season on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Los Angeles Angels and Detroit Tigers face off on Thursday in an MLB showdown at Comerica Park. This is going to be a doubleheader after Wednesday’s game was rained out.
Angels, Buyers or Sellers?
The Angels currently sit in 3rd place in the AL West and there are still some questions if they are going to be buyers or sellers at the trade deadline. Shohei Ohtani on the season has hit 36 home runs and driven in 77 RBIs so far this season. If I am the Angles, unless they are being offered the best package in trade history, they need to keep Ohtani, even if he is already set on walking at the end of the season. Ohtani has been one of the big reasons for this team's success. The Angels are averaging 5.02 runs while their pitching 4.83 runs per game. The offense is ranked 6th best in baseball. Chase Silseth comes into this game with a 2-1 record overall and an ERA of 4.44. In his last start against the Yankees he went 5.2 innings giving up four hits and one run.
Angels Betting Trends
- The Angels have lost five of their last six games as favourites after going to extra innings.
- The underdogs have covered the run line in each of the Angels' last four games at Comerica Park.
- The 'Inning 1 OVER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Angels' last five games against AL Central opponents.
- The Angels have led after 3 innings in each of their last three games against American League opponents.
- The Angels have led after 7 innings in each of their last five road games against American League opponents that held a losing record.
Matt Manning, Reason for Hope
There aren’t a whole lot of bright spots for the Detroit Tigers this season, but Matt Manning is one of them. Manning comes into this game with a 3-1 record and an ERA of 3.19. Over his last 14.1 innings he has given up only one run. His last start was cut short with a rain delay. If Manning can continue that success, he is starting to look like a pitcher that could be a number one pitcher going forward. The Tigers are averaging 3.93 runs while their pitching is giving up 4.76 runs per game. Overall the offense is ranked 28th, and the offense needs to find a way to give Manning some run support. Spencer Torkelson has hit 15 home runs an driven in 56 RBIs so far this season.
Tigers Betting Trends
- The Tigers have won seven of their last eight games as underdogs against American League opponents following a home loss.
- The Tigers have covered the run line in each of their last six games as underdogs against American League opponents following a home loss.
- The Tigers have led after 5 innings in each of their last five day games at Comerica Park against American League opponents.
- The 'Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Tigers' last three games as home underdogs against AL West opponents.
- The Tigers have led after 3 innings in four of their last five games as underdogs against American League opponents.
Tigers and Angels Facts
- The Detroit Tigers ranks 28th in the league for RBI's this season (386).
- The Detroit Tigers ranks 28th in the league for batting average this season (.232).
- The Los Angeles Angels are one of only 4 teams in the league to rank top 10 in both home runs and batting average this season.
- The Los Angeles Angels ranks 27th in the league for steals this season (50).
Shane’s Free Pick
This game is going to be a pitchers duel in Game 1l. Manning over his last 14.1 innings and has given up only one run. Silseth is coming off a start where he gave up only run. The Tigers offense has one of the worst offenses in baseball and they are going to struggle to get any type of ofefnse going here. This game is going to have four or five runs scored, and this game is going to stay under the total.
In Game 2, it’s going to be the Angels. The Angels offense is ranked 6th in baseball, and they are going to have no issue running up the score here. The Tigers won’t keep up and the Angels will win on the run line. Ohtani is also going to start and that is going to make life tough on the Tigers offense.