New York Yankees (53-47) vs New York Mets (46-53)
Game Info: Tuesday, July 25, 2023 at 7:05 pm (Yankee Stadium)
Domingo German (5-6) (4.52) vs Justin Verlander (4-5) (3.47)
Betting Odds: New York Yankees +105 / New York Mets -125 --- Over/Under: 8.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: TBS Stream the MLB Game of the Day all season on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The New York Mets will play the New York Yankees in Game 1 of their series on Tuesday night at Yankee Stadium in New York. The Mets come into this series seven games below .500 and they need to start making moves if they want to climb back into postseason contention. The Yankees have been up and down this year, but their pitching staff has been a bright spot for them.
The New York Mets are 46-53 this season and they have lost three of their last four games. New York is coming off of a series loss in Boston, where they lost two out of three games. Prior to the Boston series, the Mets did win two out of three against the White Sox. The New York pitching staff has a 4.41 ERA, a 1.35 WHIP, and a .247 opponent batting average this season. The Mets offense has scored 438 runs with a .237 batting average and a .317 on base percentage. Francisco Lindor is batting .226 with 19 home runs and 62 RBI’s for the Mets. The projected starting pitcher for New York is Justin Verlander, who is 4-5 with a 3.47 ERA and a 1.16 WHIP over 83.0 innings pitched this year.
The New York Yankees are 53-47 this season and they have won three games in a row. New York is coming off of a series win against the Royals, where they won all three games at home. Prior to that series, the Yankees lost six of their previous seven games. The New York pitching staff has a 3.87 ERA, a 1.25 WHIP, and a .233 opponent batting average. The Yankees offense has scored 440 runs with a .231 batting average and a .301 on base percentage this year. Anthony Rizzo is batting .253 with 12 home runs and 41 RBI’s for the Yankees. The projected starting pitcher for New York is Domingo German, who is 5-6 with a 4.52 ERA and a 1.08 WHIP over 97.2 innings pitched this season.
New York Yankees Team Facts
- The Yankees have won each of their last five games as home underdogs against National League opponents following a win.
- The Yankees have covered the run line in each of their last eight games as underdogs against NL East opponents.
- The Yankees have led after 3 innings in each of their last five games at Yankee Stadium against opponents that held a losing record.
- The Yankees have led after 5 innings in each of their last four games against the Mets at Yankee Stadium.
- The Yankees have led after 7 innings in each of their last three games as home underdogs against NL East opponents.
New York Mets Team Facts
- The Mets have lost each of their last four games as favourites against American League opponents following a road loss.
- The Mets have failed to cover the run line each of their last 10 night games against AL East opponents that held a winning record.
- The Mets have trailed after 5 innings in each of their last five night games at Yankee Stadium against American League opponents.
- The Mets have trailed after 7 innings in each of their last six Tuesday night road games.
- The Mets have trailed after 3 innings in each of their last five games against American League opponents that held a winning record.
New York Yankees Player Prop Facts
- Gleyber Torres has recorded an RBI in each of the Yankees' last four night games against opponents that held a losing record.
- Domingo German has recorded six or more strikeouts in each of his last three appearances against NL opponents.
- DJ LeMahieu has recorded at least one total base in each of his last 12 appearances with his team as an underdog against the Mets.
- Giancarlo Stanton has hit a home run in three of his last four appearances with the Yankees as underdogs against the Mets.
- Gleyber Torres has recorded at least one hit in each of the Yankees' last 15 games against opponents that held a losing record.
New York Mets Player Prop Facts
- Brandon Nimmo has recorded at least one RBI in each of the Mets' last three games as favourites against AL East opponents.
- Brandon Nimmo has recorded two or more total bases in five of his last six appearances against AL East opponents.
- Justin Verlander has recorded eight or more strikeouts in seven of his last nine appearances with his team as a road favourite against AL East opponents.
- Pete Alonso has hit at least one home run in seven of his last 11 appearances with the Mets as favourites against AL East opponents.
- Jeff McNeil has recorded at least one hit in each of his last six appearances against the Yankees after not playing the previous day.
- The New York Yankees ranks 29th in the league for doubles this season (133).
- The New York Yankees ranks 29th in the league for batting average this season (.231).
- The New York Mets ranks 26th in the league for hits this season (776).
- The New York Mets ranks T24th in the league for home runs allowed this season (129).
The Yankees come into this series off of a sweep of the Royals, but they have been very inconsistent offensively this year. The Mets are 23-31 on the road, while the Yankees are 31-23 at home. The Yankees are starting Domingo German, who has allowed 5, 1, 2, and 0 earned runs in his last four starts. The Mets will turn to Justin Verlander, who has allowed six earned runs over his last five starts (31 IP). Verlander has been dialed in over his last five starts and I like the Mets to get the win here.