Detroit Tigers (45-54) vs San Francisco Giants (54-46)
Game Info: Monday, July 24, 2023 at 1:10 pm (Comerica Park)
Tarik Skubal (0-1) (5.25) vs Ross Stripling (0-3) (5.92)
Betting Odds: Detroit Tigers +160 / San Francisco Giants -190 --- Over/Under: 7.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: MLB.tv Stream the MLB Game of the Day all season on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The San Francisco Giants will play the Detroit Tigers in a makeup game on Monday afternoon at Comerica Park in Detroit, Michigan. These two teams started this series in April, with the Tigers winning Games 1 and 2 by scores of 7-5 and 7-6, both of which went to extra innings.
The San Francisco Giants are 54-46 this season and they have lost five games in a row. San Francisco was just swept by the Nationals by scores of 5-3, 10-1, and 6-1. Prior to that, the Giants split a four game series in Cincinnati. The San Francisco pitching staff has a 4.00 ERA, a 1.26 WHIP, and a .252 opponent batting average this season. The Giants offense has scored 456 runs with a .243 batting average and a .319 on base percentage. J.D. Davis is batting .264 with 12 home runs and 49 RBI’s for the Giants. The projected starting pitcher for San Francisco is Ross Stripling, who is 0-3 with a 5.92 ERA and a 1.34 WHIP over 51.2 innings pitched this year.
The Detroit Tigers are 45-54 this season and they have won three of their last five games. Detroit is coming off of a series loss to the Padres, where they lost two out of three games. The Tigers have played decently well since the All-Star break, going 6-4 with series wins against Seattle and Kansas City. The Detroit pitching staff has a 4.43 ERA, a 1.24 WHIP, and a .243 opponent batting average. The Tigers offense has scored 386 runs with a .230 batting average and a .298 on base percentage this year. Spencer Torkelson is batting .230 with 15 home runs and 53 RBI’s for the Tigers. The projected starting pitcher for Detroit is Tarik Skubal, who is 0-1 with a 5.25 ERA and a 1.08 WHIP over 12.0 innings pitched this season.
Detroit Tigers Team Facts
- The Tigers have lost each of their last seven games at Comerica Park following a win.
- The Tigers have covered the run line each of their last four day games against teams that held a winning record.
- The Tigers have trailed after 5 innings in three of their last four games as favourites.
- The Tigers have won the first inning in each of their last three day games against NL West opponents.
- The 'Inning 1 OVER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Tigers' last four day games against National League opponents.
San Francisco Giants Team Facts
- The underdogs have won each of the Giants' last three games.
- The Giants have failed to cover the run line in each of their last seven games following a road loss.
- The Giants have trailed after 5 innings in each of their last six road games.
- The 'Inning 1 OVER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Giants' last seven road games against AL Central opponents.
- The Giants have trailed after 3 innings in each of their last three day games against American League opponents.
Detroit Tigers Player Prop Facts
- Spencer Torkelson has recorded at least one RBI in five of his last six appearances against opponents that held a winning record.
- Spencer Torkelson has hit at least one home run in three of the Tigers' last five day games against opponents that held a winning record.
- Spencer Torkelson has recorded two or more total bases in each of the Tigers' last six day games against opponents that held a winning record.
- Riley Greene has recorded at least one hit in each of his 12 previous appearances with the Tigers as home favourites.
San Francisco Giants Player Prop Facts
- J.D. Davis has recorded two or more total bases in five of his last six road appearances against AL Central opponents.
- Wilmer Flores has recorded at least one hit in seven of his last eight appearances in day games.
- J.D. Davis has recorded at least one RBI in each of the Giants' last three road games against AL Central opponents that held a losing record.
- J.D. Davis has hit a home run in each of the Giants' last three road games against AL opponents that held a losing record.
- The Detroit Tigers ranks 28th in the league for RBI's this season (375).
- The Detroit Tigers ranks 28th in the league for on-base percentage this season (.298).
- The San Francisco Giants ranks 28th in the league for strikeouts against this season (942).
- The San Francisco Giants ranks T27th in the league for triples this season (8).
The Tigers were able to get a win on Sunday to avoid the sweep against the Padres and they have been very competitive since the All-Star break. San Francisco was just swept by the Nationals, who are one of the worst teams in the NL, and they were out scored by a total of 21-5 in the series. Detroit is starting Tarik Skubal, who pitched well in his first two outings of the year, but did allow seven earned runs to the Royals last time out. San Francisco is starting Ross Stripling, who has allowed seven earned runs over his last four starts (16.1 IP). I like the Tigers at home in this matchup. I think Skubal is much better than his last performance and I also think we may see a Giants team that sleep walks through this game. It’s never easy to get dominated in a series, fly to another city for just one game, then look forward to going home. Take Detroit here.