Yale at Loyola Marymount Prediction - College Basketball Picks 11/12/23
Loyola Marymount Lions (1-0) vs Yale Bulldogs (1-1)
Game Info: Sunday, November 12, 2023 at 6:00 pm (Albert Gersten Pavilion)
Betting Odds: Loyola Marymount Lions -1 -- Over/Under: 146.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: ESPN+ Stream College Basketball all season on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Yale Bulldogs will make their way down to Los Angeles to meet the Loyola Marymount Lions in non-conference play this Sunday from the Gersten Pavilion on ESPN+.
Yale Bulldogs Preview
Yale comes in at 1-1 after dropping a battle of Bulldogs to Gonzaga in Spokane, 86-71. The Bulldogs stuck with the Zags into the second half, but the talent gap eventually set in, and they’ll look to leave the West Coast with a win this Sunday. Yale is scoring 86.5 points per game, on 39% shooting, while allowing 69.5 ppg.
Yale Player Notes
• Junior guard John Poulakidas played well on the road versus Gonzaga, scoring 18 points on 7/11 shooting, and he leads Yale in scoring at 15.0 ppg.
• Backcourt mate Bez Mbeng posted a solid line of 12/5/5 in the win over Vassar, and he leads the team in assists (4.0), with averaging 11.0 ppg and 3.5 rpg.
• Sophomore forward Nick Townsend has reached double figures in both games, and he’s leading Yale in rebounding (6.0).
• Veteran guard August Mahoney couldn’t find his shot against Gonzaga (2/11 FG), but he’s hunting, and scoring 10.5 thru two games.
• Senior forward and returning leading scorer Matt Knowling (8.0 ppg, 5.5 rpg) will also be looking to bounce back from a tough outing in Spokane.
Loyola Marymount Lions Preview
Loyola Marymount enters at 1-0 after defeating Westcliff at home in their season opener, 109-68. The Lions pulled away in the second half, and they’ll need to be much sharper here with the Bulldogs coming to town Sunday. LMU is scoring 108.0 points per game, on 57.5% shooting, while allowing 68.0 ppg.
LMU Player Notes
• Senior forward Alex Merkviladze led the way with 18 points on 8/12 shooting in the win over Westcliff.
• Returning leading scorer Keli Leaupepe scored 15 points, while shooting 60% from the field in the season opener.
• Cal transfer Lars Thiemann grabbed a team-high seven boards in his LMU debut, and scored 13 points.
• Former NCCU guard Justin Wright also had a nice first game as a Lion, chipping in 14 points and grabbing five boards.
• Former LSU guard Justice Hill dished out a team-high five assists, and scored 11 points in his debut with Loyola.
Yale vs Loyola Marymount Trends
• YALE is 0-1 against the spread, with a 1-0 O/U record
• LMU is 1-0 ATS, with a 0-1 over/under record.
Corey’s Free Pick
This should be a really good game, as both schools come in with experience and talent on the perimeter. When eyeing this matchup, the length of LMU has a chance to give Yale trouble here on the road. We’ve seen the Bulldogs outduel physical disadvantages over a handful of times, and there’s a reason this one opened so closely, but we’ve also seen those shortcomings prevent them from prevailing. With the margin sitting so close, it takes away from the underdog aspect, so this may just be a spot to roll with the home team executing on their floor. Let’s back LMU to follow up Gonzaga’s efforts on Friday, and hand Yale a second loss from the WCC this Sunday evening.