North Carolina vs West Virginia Prediction - College Football Picks 12/27/23
West Virginia Mountaineers (8-4) vs North Carolina Tar Heels (8-4)
Game Info: Wednesday, December 27, 2023 at 5:30 pm (Bank of America Stadium)
Betting Odds: West Virginia Mountaineers -6.5 -- Over/Under: 54 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: ESPN Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The North Carolina Tar Heels and West Virginia Mountaineers face off on Wednesday in a college football showdown in the Duke’s Mayo Bowl. Let’s look at the betting matchup and give a free North Carolina vs West Virginia prediction.
Disappointing Year for North Carolina
Coming into the season there was talk about North Carolina winning the ACC, but the defense let them down all season and they finished with only eight wins. Heading into this game, North Carolina has lost two games in a row including the last game against NC State. North Carolina ended the regular season with an 8-4 record in the ACC standings. The offense only scored 20 points while the defense gave up 39 points. Drake Maye covered up a lot of the holes of this North Carolina team and now he’s not going to be able to cover those up here. Maye has already declared for the NFL draft. Without Maye it’s expected to be Conner Harrell that is going to get the start here.
North Carolina Betting Trends
- North Carolina has won each of its last four games against non-conference opponents.
- North Carolina has failed to cover the spread in five of its last six games against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Five of North Carolina's last six games as an underdog at neutral venues have gone UNDER the total points line.
West Virginia Still Has Everything to Play For
While it might look like North Carolina doesn’t have anything to play for, West Virginia still believes they have everything to play for. In the last game against Baylor, West Virginia scored 34 points and ended up winning by three points. The Mountaineers had a 6-4 run over their first 10 games. The losses in that time were to Penn State, Houston, Oklahoma State and Oklahoma. Garrett Greene had a strong game completing 16 of his 25 passes for 269 yards and two touchdowns. The Mountaineers on the season are averaging 31.6 points while their defense is giving up 27.5 points per game. In this game if the defense is good, West Virginia is going to have a great shot to secure the win.
West Virginia Betting Trends
- West Virginia has won each of its last four games against non-AP-ranked teams.
- West Virginia has failed to cover the spread in each of its last eight Bowl games.
- West Virginia has lost the first half in six of its last seven games against non-conference opponents at neutral venues.
- Six of West Virginia's last seven games have gone OVER the total points line.
North Carolina vs West Virginia Betting Prediction
Without Maye, the North Carolina offense is going to be a major issue here. West Virginia is averaging 31.6 points per game and theta re going to have no issue running up the score here. North Carolina is going to struggle to score even 17 points and that is going to be the difference here as West Virginia is going to get the job done with ease. Back West Virginia to cover the spread.