USF vs Syracuse Prediction - College Football Picks 12/21/23
Syracuse Orange (6-6) vs USF Bulls (6-6)
Game Info: Thursday, December 21, 2023 at 8:00 pm (FAU Stadium)
Betting Odds: Syracuse Orange -3 -- Over/Under: 56.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: ESPN Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The South Florida Bulls will play the Syracuse Orange on Thursday night in the Boca Raton Bowl at FAU Stadium in Boca Raton, Florida. South Florida has alternated wins and losses over their last six games, while Syracuse has won two of their last three. Let’s take a look at the betting matchup and the South Florida vs Syracuse prediction.
South Florida Preview
The South Florida Bulls are 6-6 (4-4) this season and they finished tied for fifth in the AAC standings. South Florida started the season with a 3-2 record, but they lost three of the next four games to drop to 4-5. The Bulls were able to defeat Temple and Charlotte in two of their last three games to get to six wins and make a bowl game. The South Florida offense is averaging 30.7 points per game with 270.7 passing yards per game and 184.7 rushing yards per game. Byrum Brown has thrown for 3,078 yards, 23 touchdowns, and 11 interceptions, while also rushing for 745 yards and 11 touchdowns this season. Nay’Quan Wright has rushed for 757 yards and seven scores, while Sean Atkins has caught 86 passes for 961 yards and five touchdowns. The South Florida defense is allowing 34.9 points against per game this year.
The Syracuse Orange are 6-6 (2-6) this year and they finished tied for 11th in the ACC standings. Syracuse started the season with four straight wins and they were looking very good, but they lost five games in a row to drop to 4-5. The Orange defeated Pittsburgh and Wake Forest in two of their last three games to gain bowl eligibility. The Syracuse offense is scoring 25.4 points per game with 173.7 passing yards per game and 185 rushing yards per game. Garrett Shrader is not available for the bowl game, so it will be interesting to see who Syracuse goes with at quarterback. LeQuint Allen has rushed for 1,062 yards and nine scores, while Damien Alford (questionable) has caught 29 passes for 527 yards and three touchdowns. The Syracuse defense is allowing 23.8 points against per game this season.
Syracuse Orange Team Facts
- Syracuse has won each of its last 12 games as a favorite against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Syracuse has covered the spread in each of its last five games in December.
- Syracuse has won the first quarter in three of its last four games against non-conference opponents.
- Syracuse has won the first half in three of its last four games against non-conference opponents.
- Four of Syracuse's last five games have gone OVER the total points line.
South Florida Bulls Team Facts
- South Florida has lost each of its last four games against opponents from the Atlantic Coast Conference.
- South Florida has covered the spread in four of its last five games as an underdog.
- South Florida has won the first quarter in five of its last six games against non-conference opponents.
- South Florida has lost the first half in five of its last six games against opponents from the Atlantic Coast Conference.
- Each of South Florida's last four games as an underdog have gone OVER the total points line.
South Florida vs Syracuse Betting Prediction
Syracuse started the season playing very well and they looked like they were going to be a contender in the ACC, but the wheels fell off and they are lucky to even be in a bowl game this year. South Florida was very average this season, but they did give Alabama a very tough game early in the season. The Bulls have a very good passing attack, but their defense is horrible, allowing almost 35 points against per game. This game is close to being a home game for South Florida and I don’t think Syracuse is in a great spot mentally after this season, so I am going to take South Florida with the points.