Rutgers vs Penn State Prediction - College Football Picks 11/18/23
Penn State Nittany Lions (8-2) vs Rutgers Scarlet Knights (6-4)
Game Info: Saturday, November 18, 2023 at 12:00 pm (Beaver Stadium)
Betting Odds: Penn State Nittany Lions -20.5 -- Over/Under: 41.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: FS1 Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Rutgers Scarlet Knights will play the Penn State Nittany Lions in a Big Ten game on Saturday afternoon at Beaver Stadium in University Park, Pennsylvania. Rutgers has lost two games in a row, while Penn State is coming off of a tough loss to Michigan.
The Rutgers Scarlet Knights are 6-4 (3-4) this season after they lost to Iowa by a score of 22-0 in their last game. Rutgers allowed three points in the first half, but they couldn’t find any points in this game for the shutout loss. The Scarlet Knights were out gained by a total of 402-127 and went 2-11 on third down in the game. Rutgers has conference wins against Northwestern, Michigan State, and Indiana. The Rutgers offense is averaging 24.3 points per game with 140.9 passing yards per game and 169.6 rushing yards per game, while going 36% on third downs. Gavin Wimsatt has thrown for 1,356 yards, eight touchdowns, and six interceptions for the Scarlet Knights this year, while also rushing for 409 yards and seven touchdowns. Kyle Monangai has rushed for 942 yards and seven scores, while Christian Dremel has caught 30 passes for 390 yards and three touchdowns. The Rutgers defense is allowing 18.3 points against per game this year.
Penn State Preview
The Penn State Nittany Lions are 8-2 (5-2) this year after they lost to Michigan by a score of 24-15 last week. Penn State led 3-0 in the first quarter, but they trailed 14-9 at the half. The Nittany Lions didn’t do much on offense in the second half, but they did find the end zone with two minutes left in the game. The Nittany Lions were out gained by a total of 287-238 and went 4-14 on third down. Penn State’s other loss this season came against Ohio State by a score of 20-12. The Penn State offense is scoring 37.7 points per game with 206.1 passing yards per game and 172.3 rushing yards per game, while going 40.9% on third downs. Drew Allar has thrown for 1,965 yards, 21 touchdowns, and one interception for the Nittany Lions this year. Kaytron Allen has rushed for 645 yards and four touchdowns, while KeAndre Lambert-Smith has caught 52 passes for 651 yards and four scores. The Penn State defense is giving up 13.1 points against per game this season.
Penn State Nittany Lions Team Facts
- Penn State has won each of its last 11 home games against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Penn State has covered the spread in 11 of its last 12 games against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Penn State has won the first quarter in four of its last five games against conference opponents at Beaver Stadium.
- Penn State has won the first half in eight of its last nine games against conference opponents at Beaver Stadium.
- Seven of Penn State's last eight home games in November have gone UNDER the total points line.
Rutgers Scarlet Knights Team Facts
- Rutgers has lost 23 of its last 25 games in November.
- Rutgers has failed to cover the spread in each of its last seven games against top-15 AP-ranked teams.
- Rutgers has lost the first half in 19 of its last 25 games against conference opponents.
- Each of Rutgers' last four November games against top-15 AP-ranked teams have gone OVER the total points line.
Penn State is coming off of a disappointing loss to Michigan in their last game and they were unable to beat the Wolverines or Buckeyes once again this year. Michigan ran the ball more than 30 times in a row, but Penn State couldn’t find a way to stop it. Rutgers was dominated by Iowa last week, after putting up a good fight against Ohio State in the game prior. I think we could see a sluggish effort from Penn State in this game, since they know they aren’t going to the Big Ten Title game. Take Rutgers with the points here.