NC State at Virginia Tech Prediction - College Football Picks 11/18/23
Virginia Tech Hokies (5-5) vs NC State Wolfpack (7-3)
Game Info: Saturday, November 18, 2023 at 3:30 pm (Lane Stadium/Worsham Field)
Betting Odds: Virginia Tech Hokies -3 -- Over/Under: 45 Click Here for the Latest Odds
The North Carolina State Wolfpack will make the trip to Blacksburg to visit the Virginia Tech Hokies in ACC action this weekend from Lane Stadium on the ACC Network. Virginia Tech leads the all-time series, 28-19-4, but N.C. State won last year’s meeting in Raleigh by a point, 22-21.
North Carolina State Wolfpack Preview
North Carolina State moved to 7-3 after defeating Wake Forest in Winston-Salem, 26-6. The Wolfpack came through with another stingy defensive effort, and they’ll look to pin a fourth straight win this weekend. The N.C. State offense is scoring 24.8 ppg, while passing for 180.1 ypg, rushing for 144.3 ypg, and converting 37.3% of their third downs.
N.C. State Player Notes
• Brennan Armstrong returned behind center with a big performance, passing for 111 yards and a touchdown, while rushing for 96 more and another score. The former UVA quarterback looked much better after a rocky start in Raleigh, and he’ll now return to Virginia looking to wrap his college career up strong. Armstrong has thrown for 1,082 yards with six touchdowns to six interceptions, and he leads the team with 433 rushing yards and four scores.
• The Wolfpack haven’t had much room on the ground this season, and sophomore RB Micah Allen leads the backfield with 251 yards on 51 touches.
• Freshman wideout Kevin Conception is first on the team in receptions (50) and receiving yards (573).
• The N.C. State defense has allowed 19.4 points per game.
Virginia Tech Hokies Preview
Virginia Tech moved to 5-5 after defeating Boston College in Chestnut Hill, 48-22. The Hokies put it all together for their biggest scoring outcome of the season, and they’ll look to become bowl eligible this weekend. The Virginia Tech offense is scoring 26.0 ppg, while passing for 205.6 ypg, rushing for 173.1 ypg, and converting 30.4% of their third downs.
VT Player Notes
• Kyron Drones rebounded from a tough start in Louisville to going 12/17 for 219 yards and two scores against Boston College. The former Baylor QB has come along in Blacksburg over the past month of action, and he’ll look to slow down a hot Wolfpack defense this weekend. Drones has thrown for 1,525 yards, with nine touchdowns to two interceptions, while adding 541 and four touchdowns on the ground.
• Junior back Bhayshul Tuten scored three times in the win over BC, and he leads VT with 613 rushing yards on 137 carries.
• MTSU transfer Jaylin Lane caught his sixth touchdown of the season last weekend, and he leads Tech in receptions (33) and receiving yards (458).
• The Tech defense is allowing 23.9 points per game.
N.C. State vs Virginia Tech Forest Trends
• NCST is 3-5-1 against the spread, with a 2-7 O/U record.
• VT is 4-5 ATS, with a 3-5-1 over/under record.
Corey’s Free Pick
JMU and Liberty have stolen the shine in Virginia’s college football region, but both Virginia and Virginia Tech have picked up steam over the second half of the season. UVA shook up the conference with an upset win over UNC, while the Hokies have won three of their last four games. N.C. State has played very well as of late themselves, so while I like rolling with my home state here, the visiting defense allows an alternative option. The Wolfpack have only allowed more than 17 points once in conference play this season, and that includes wins over Clemson and Miami, so I like testing the Under here in this ACC matchup.