James Madison at Georgia State Prediction - College Football Picks 11/4/23
Georgia State Panthers (6-2) vs James Madison Dukes (8-0)
Game Info: Saturday, November 4, 2023 at 3:30 pm (Center Parc Stadium)
Betting Odds: Georgia State Panthers +5.5 -- Over/Under: 55 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: ESPN Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The James Madison Dukes will head down to Atlanta to face the Georgia State Panthers in Sun Belt play this weekend from Center Parc Stadium on ESPN2. JMU has won both matchups, including last year’s meeting in Harrisonburg by two, 42-40.
James Madison Dukes Preview
James Madison improved to 8-0 after defeating Old Dominion by three, 30-27. The Dukes held off the in-state Monarchs down the stretch to remain undefeated on homecoming night. The JMU offense is scoring 32.1 ppg, while passing for 258.5 ypg, rushing for 149.3 ypg, and converting 30.5% of their third downs.
JMU Player Notes
• Jordan McCloud had a productive outing against ODU, passing for 340 yards with three touchdowns to two interceptions and a rushing score. The former USF QB has settled in nicely here in Harrisonburg, and he’ll look to quarterback the Dukes to their fifth road victory of the season. McCloud has passed for an ironic 2,023 yards, with 18 touchdowns to six interceptions thru eight starts.
• Kaelon Black totaled 63 yards in the win over the Monarchs, and he leads JMU in rushing yards with 486 on 110 carries.
• Senior wideout Reggie Brown went off with a 9-catch, 142-yard performance last weekend, and he leads the Dukes with 691 receiving yards on 35 catches.
• Sophomore receiver Elijah Sarratt matched his energy with a similar line (8/139/1), and he’s first on the team in receptions (39) for 594 yards receiving.
• The JMU defense has allowed 20.2 points per game.
Georgia State Panthers Preview
Georgia State fell to 6-2 after losing to Georgia Southern in Statesboro, 44-27. The Panthers weren’t able to keep up with the passing attack of their in-state foes, and they’ll look to bounce back in a big way here versus JMU. The Georgia St. offense is scoring 30.4 ppg, while passing for 224.0 ypg, rushing for 191.1 ypg, and converting 50.4% of their third downs.
GSU Player Notes
• Darren Grainger couldn’t match Davis Brin’s energy in Georgia’s Sun Belt battle, only going 21/37 for 157 yards, with two scores and a pair of turnovers. The senior QB wasn’t able to move the needle thru the air, and he’ll have to overcome those struggles here with JMU coming to town. Grainger has thrown for 1,789 yards, with 12 touchdowns to four interceptions, and he’s rushed for 448 yards and five scores thru eight starts.
• Senior back Marcus Carroll did his part with a season-high 208 yards and two scores versus Georgia Southern, and he’s one of the nation’s leaders in rushing with 1,060 yards on 197 carries.
• Junior wideout Robert Lewis caught a personal-best 12 passes for 97 yards last weekend, and he leads the team in receptions (46) and receiving yards (658).
• The Georgia State defense is allowing 25.5 points per game.
James Madison vs Georgia State Trends
• JMU is 5-3 against the spread, with a 4-4 O/U record.
• GSU is 5-3 ATS, with a 4-4 over/under record.
Corey’s Free Pick
James Madison’s homecoming was a special weekend, but they’ll now make the trip to Atlanta for what may be their stiffest test yet here against Georgia State. The Panthers were outplayed out the road last week, and will have all of the motive to hand the Dukes their first blemish. I personally believe JMU will run the table this season, but this may wind up being a contested game, as Georgia State will be looking to get back into the win column. Give the Over a look, as this could come down to the final few possessions, but spot Georgia State the points at home for this Sun Belt matchup.